New principal wants 100 percent participation in standardized tests

Palo Alto High School’s new principal wants to increase the required number of students who take standardized tests, according to comments she made during a press conference with student journalists earlier this month.

According to Principal Jacquie McEvoy, 27 percent of Paly juniors did not take the California Standardized Testing and Reporting Test last year.

“I want everyone to take the test,” McEvoy told The Paly Voice earlier this month.

McEvoy said the school might not get accredited due to the lack of scores, which could hinder colleges from accurately assessing the academic performance of Paly students. She explained that taking more standardized tests and participating in polls could help prevent non-accreditation and would better represent Paly.

“How do we represent Paly to the outside community, nationally?” she asked. “I think there are ways of participating in polls that reflects this school and celebrates the incredible students and staff.”

Two Paly teachers, who asked that their names not be used because their opinions did not completely coincide with that of the principal, said that the lack of test scores could force the school lose its high status and curriculum. They referenced other high schools, such as Napa High School, which had to alter their entire curriculum after failing to report enough scores.

Although the two Paly teachers fear that non-accreditation may be an imminent possibility, they sympathize with students, who will be expected to take more standardized tests.

“We’re in danger of losing our status as a good school, and we are obligated to do it,” one of the teachers said. “However, it [standardized testing] is very tiring, and students already have many issues with stress.”

“They are suffering under the standardized testing movement,” the other teacher said in agreement.

In her meeting with journalism students, McEvoy explained that standardized testing could help supplement college preparatory tests and provide more information about Paly students. Last year, the previous administration decided not to participate in a national poll conducted by Newsweek that evaluated students solely by their AP test scores, according to McEvoy.

“When Newsweek comes to take their poll, we say, ‘here’s Palo Alto High school,'” she said. “‘Here’s a multitude of information to choose from.'”

McEvoy also questioned the reasons for the huge contrast between the decreasing participation in standardized testing, such as the Standardized Testing and Reporting Test, and the growing popularity of the Scholastic Assessment Test and Advanced Placement exams.

“If anyone has any philosophical objections to standardized tests, tell me,” she said. “Tell me why the AP program is so large. Why has everyone bought into taking AP and SAT?”

Some Paly students feel differently about comparing the college preparatory tests and state tests, such as STAR and CAHSEE.

“The SAT and AP will get you ahead in getting into college if you do well on them,” Price said. “With [other] standardized tests there is really no point, since they won’t have any effect on your future, and it wastes a few hours of your day.”

The two Paly teachers agreed that students have many expectations to begin with but agreed that standardized test results could maintain Paly’s reputation and provide more information on struggling students.

McEvoy realized that many juniors skipped the STAR test to focus on AP exams. To encourage more people to take the tests, the administration is thinking about administering standardized tests after people finish taking the AP exams. McEvoy and her colleagues have also considered requiring AP students to take these standardized tests to be enrolled and qualified for their AP classes.