Community Service Fair presents volunteer opportunities to students

Students had the opportunity to learn about and sign up to be volunteers during the community service fair that took place on the quad during lunch today.

Fifteen agencies were signed up to participate in the event and they offered various volunteering opportunities in childcare, nature, art, tutoring and other areas.

“This fair is a good chance for people who need community service hours for living skills to see where and how they can volunteer,” said junior Grace Park.

Living skills requires 15 hours of community service and the fair is an easy way for people to find something interesting to volunteer with.

In general Paly students are active in the community and perform many hours of community service: according to Career Adviser Wendy Sinton, last year alone more than 150 students received the Presidents Award (awarded to students who complete 100 hours of community service in one year).

For those students who aren’t avid volunteers, the community service fair provides an opportunity to begin helping others. Paly hosts the fair twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring, to alert students to volunteering prospects.

“We try to have something for everyone” said Sinton.

“I would have gone to the fair but I didn’t hear anything about the it so I didn’t know what was going on until it was over,” junior Claire Kerby said.

The fair was not publicized much according to Sinton except through the fourth period bulletin.