Paly student wins National Achievement award

One lucky Paly senior is off to a great start for the weekend after having received an award Friday as one of the 1600 semifinalists across the nation for the National Achievement Scholarship. Alexandra Jones is the only Paly student this year to win this award.

Like many, Jones did not expect or know anything about the award until now.

“I was really surprised,” Jones said. “I definitely did not expect it at all. I didn’t even know there was such an award.”

The National Achievement Scholarship Program recognizes the Black American youth who score highest on the PSAT/NMSQT. For the 2008 Achievement Scholarship Competition, there were a total of 140,000 entrants who took the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) in October 2006.

The number of entrants is limited down to 1600 semifinalists. 1300 will move on to the finals, and only 800 will win scholarships. Winners have the opportunity to win $2500 in scholarship money from National Achievement scholarships, as well as many other potential scholarships.

The scholarship program initiated in 1964 after the signing of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibited segregation in public place and introduced integration of schools.

It aims to encourage Black American youth to continue their education by honoring students with outstanding performances, as well increasing educational opportunities through scholarships.

Jones’s teacher advisor, Kaye Paugh, who was present when Principal Jacqueline McEvoy presented the award, said she praises the aptitude and capacity of Paly students.

“We [the school] have innately very talented students,” Paugh said, “and great instruction and programs for the students.”

In order to become a finalist, Jones must continue to meet many requirements, one of which is to write a personal essay about her characteristics, accomplishments, interests, and goals.

Jones is excited about the award and optimistic despite whatever happens.

“I really like writing essays,” Jones said. “And even if I don’t win this [scholarship] award, I will be totally happy.”