Site Council discusses student dancing, senior mischief in year's first meeting

Site Council listened to a Paly parent’s perspective on the appropriateness of student dancing and discussed the dangers of senior violence against freshmen as it welcomed several new members in the council’s first meeting of the school year.

Christina Owen told the council that the issue of inappropriate dancing arose at the end of last school year, but was never resolved. She said that she has heard complaints from both parents and students, and that she began volunteering as a dance chaperone this year out of concern about student behavior.

Principal Jacqueline McEvoy, who sits on the council, told the group that she has begun using flashlights to find explicit dancers and is currently working with the Associated Student Body to brainstorm appropriate phrases that security can use to discourage such dancing.

Other council members suggested talking to students about appropriate conduct before the dance, possibly through InFocus segments about dance rules and their consequences. They said they felt that the segments should also emphasize rules about drugs and alcohol, the abuse of which they said has created the wrong “culture” around Paly dances. They agreed to discuss the video bulletin idea further at the next meeting.

A PTSA representative then talked about the recent increase in upperclassman egging and water balloon attacks against freshmen. The response was that the complaints about such harassment normally peaks after the first Friday of the school year and during Spirit Week, but that the number has been steadily rising for the last four years.

“I don’t have a lot of tolerance for students ruining other students’ events,” McEvoy said “That’s not what a school community is about.”

The school is responsible for students from the time they leave home for school until the time that they return, and thus the school has the right to call the police about egging, according to McEvoy. She said that means that upperclassmen who attack freshmen would face legal consequences in addition to school punishment.

“I’m a big fan of the double-whammy,” McEvoy said.

Dimit said assistant principal Jerry Berkson offered to stand guard at the corner of Middlefield Road and North California Avenue, near Jordan Middle School, where most of the egging has occurred.

Paly teacher Hilary McDaniel suggested that ASB could organize a “senior buddy” program that would make freshmen the responsibility of seniors instead of the targets. Council chairman and Paly teacher Kenyon Scott said that the issue would be added to the agenda for further discussion at the next meeting.

On a positive note for teachers, Dimit said that the PTSA has increased the value of both Viking Grants and Fast Grants this year. Teachers can now apply for $500 Fast Grants, up from $250 last year, and $2,500 Viking Grants, $1,000 more than last year.

Students new to the site council duties represent all four grade levels this year. Jenna Lose was present for the juniors, Olivia Diamond for the sophomores and Scott Zhuge for the freshmen. Abbie Havern represents the senior class this year but was absent Monday.

The Council’s next meeting will be Sept. 24 in the staff lounge and is open to the public.

Editor’s Note: Dimit’s name was removed from quotes she was not responsible for. In addition, the grant amounts were corrected.