Parking lots crowd as more students buy permits

Student drivers will find the parking lots increasingly crowded as more parking permits continue to be sold through the end of the year.

Permit prices decrease quarterly, with $10 of each permit going towards “parking lot beautification,” Auditor Julia Singh said. Prices start off at $110 at the beginning of the year, then drop to $85 after first quarter, $65 at the new semester, and $35 at the start of third quarter.

“After the start of third quarter students have the option of paying either the $35 flat fee or paying $2 per each remaining day of school,” Singh said. “It is up to the student to decide which is the better deal.”

According to Singh, any licensed driver is able to buy a Paly parking permit. She dispelled the rumor that sophomores cannot buy parking permits as a myth.

“Most sophomores don’t get their licenses until second semester,” Singh said. “That’s why most of them don’t buy one until then or later. There is nothing stopping them from trying to buy one, however.”

According to Singh, sophomores face no disadvantage when trying to buy parking permits. They may purchase one as soon as they can show proof of a valid license.

“Upperclassmen may get priority in the future if more people want to buy parking permits,” Singh said. “As of right now this isn’t an issue because we haven’t approached the full capacity of the parking lot.”

Singh estimates that of the roughly 400 available spaces in the parking lot, only about 300 parking permits have been sold so far.

However, as more parking permits are sold, both student parking lots will grow continually more crowded. Students arriving late may find themselves having to park the less convenient and farther away spaces.