Facebook: marketing tool of ASB elections

Facebook. It is the definition of the new generation. It’s hip, it’s young, it’s fresh. It’s also the latest marketing tool used by Paly students in promoting themselves for the Associative Student Body elections.

More than a dozen Facebook groups dedicated to the elections were created, including ones such as “Vote Dom Powell 4 Athletic Commissioner” and double-up team “Sahar Raz 4 Senior Prez & Abbie Havern 4 Senior VP.”

Some candidates posted their resumes and wrote how they are qualified for certain positions, such as Mohammed Abid, Paly’s current ASB president, in his “Mo for Prez” group who cited the Student Center’s new game room as an accomplishment of his presidential term. Others simply stated that they’re the best choice because with them you’ll have an “amazing sophomore year,” as Olivia Diamond said in her group “Olivia Diamond for Sophomore VICE President.”

“Some of them [the candidates] don’t say much. They just say ‘vote for me, I’m running,'” junior Samantha Siegel said.

Candidates created Facebook groups for a variety of reasons, such as publicity and simplicity.

“A Facebook group is a convenient easy setup,” Abid said. “It’s a good form of target soliciting. If you’re running for senior class president you can attract seniors to vote for you.”

Candidate for Senior Vice President, Brook Seaman, decided to follow the trend.

“[I created one] because everyone else had one and to let everyone know that I’m running,” Seaman said about his group “Put Seaman in Paly student gov’t.”

Is this type of advertising effective? Does it make students want to vote for them? Some students and candidates have opposing viewpoints.

“I think most people will just join a group if they’re invited unless they strongly oppose the focus,” Senior Rosie Schairer said. “I don’t think the groups helped that much in the elections.”

Both Abid and Seaman disagree.

“I think it is effective because people get to look at your features on the group,” Abid said. “It’s effective both for the candidate and the constituent.”

“It’s effective because then everyone can decide to vote for you before the campaigning period starts,” Seaman said.

Some students agree with Abid and Seaman and think that the number of Facebook groups publicize who is running for each position.

“I think they let you know who’s actually running because I didn’t know until I saw the Facebook groups,” Siegel said.