Spring band concert is last hurrah for seniors

Perhaps the most lovable thing about Disney is its familiar soundtrack, so it is no wonder that the senior class chose this as their theme for the upcoming spring musical concert. In an act of senior solidarity, band members will dress up in Disney attire at their last concert.

The end-of-year music bash will feature all the bands: Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Band, Orchestra, and Symphonic Band at 7 p.m., Thursday, in the Haymarket Theatre.

“People will tap their toes to the songs [at the concert],” band teacher Jeff Willner said.

The concert, packed with familiar songs, includes music from “The Lord of the Rings” motion picture soundtrack as well as more classical pieces.

“It’s funny because when we’re practicing it [The Lord of the Rings’ music], students will recognize the tunes and ask me about them,” Willner said.

The concert will also honor the four-year graduating members and hold a much-anticipated awards ceremony. Conductors Willner and Darin Ishimatsu will award the John Philip Sousa to the most outstanding senior band member and the Louis Armstrong for the most outstanding senior jazz member, according to Willner.

The performance itself will feature two soloists – senior orchestra member Benjamin Richard in G.P. Telemann’s “Concerto in G Major for Viola,” and Symphonic band member Patrick O’Konski in George Hamilton Green’s “Rainbow Ripples Solo for Xylophone and Band.”

Perhaps the largest change in band over the past year is the shift in location from the Student Center to the newly renovated music room. This change of venue, according to Willner, positively affected the quality of the band’s performance.

“Everybody’s gotten a better sense of how to listen as musicians,” Willner said, because of the sound quality in the new music room.

“The biggest thing for the concert this year is that for the orchestra, we’re putting winds and strings together, which requires lunch-time practices,” Willner said. This was impossible when the band rehearsed in the student center.

In addition to an improvement in the band’s playing, according to Willner, the band has the highest percentage of returnees for next year.

Overall, Willner believes the concert to be a hit.

“I anticipate everything to go well,” Willner said. “That’s what’s fun – even if there’s a small glitch [in the performance], the groups are so good at this point because they have a good base of quality.”