Last Chance Dance to highlight new Student Center gear

Students can buy tickets this week for the Last Chance Dance taking place on Friday in the quad.

Appropriately named, this dance will be the last of the year, and will include a Paly pride theme in honor of graduating seniors.

“Basically everything is green and white,” ASB treasurer and dance committee member Morgan Pichinson said. “We just really decked out with streamers and lots of decorations.”

Like most dances this year, the Last Chance Dance will feature a DJ from the popular radio station Wild 94.9. However, unlike most of this year’s dances, the Last Chance Dance is not intended to focus predominantly on dancing.

“Its not just a dance-centered dance,” ASB President Mohammed Abid said. “There are many other things to do as well.”

The dance will double as the grand opening of the newly furnished Student Center. The center, which already boasts a brand new TV, ping pong table, and foosball table, will adopt three new couches and two new air hockey tables by Friday.

According to Abid, student council is also working on getting Paly magician Chris Wycoff to perform in the Student Center for an hour during the dance.

Student council has been planning the dance for the past month, however the date of the event, until recently, was undecided. Vacillating between May 18, May 25, and June 1 as the three potential dates, each had its deterrents.

“It can’t be June 1 because many juniors will be taking the SATs on June 2,” Abid said. “Last week conflicted with the final showing of Speed Limit 25, and we did not think it would be fair to the theater department to have the dance on the same night. This week is still not ideal because people might be going away for Memorial Day Weekend.”

However, despite students’ potential weekend getaways, Student Council decided that this week was the best choice of the three potential dates.

“We did have to take that [Memorial Day weekend] into consideration, however of all the different possibilities it seemed like the best choice,” Abid said.

Once the drama over the date was solved, a new conflict arose: the question of dance security. Rumors are rampant that there will be a police crackdown at the Last Chance Dance, however sources cannot confirm or deny such rumors at this point.

If Paly had more police involvement it would more closely resemble the security featured at Gunn dances according to Abid.

“At every dance police officers pat down every single guy and check the purse of every single girl,” said Nikki Dodani, ASB president of Gunn High School. “They also have breathalyzers on hand in case anybody shows symptoms of marijuana or alcohol use, however, they will not arbitrarily breathalyze dancegoers.”

With or without more police enforcement, the Last Chance dance will be from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m this Friday. Tickets cost $5 for students with an ASB card and $7 for students without one, and can be purchased in the auditor’s office.