Handful of boys' track and field athletes qualify for CCS finals

After facing some of the top regional track and field athletes in the Central Coast Section semifinals last Saturday, members of the Paly boys’ team remain in competition as contenders in the CCS finals this Friday at Gilroy High School.

Saturday’s competition showcased a range of talent from all across the board, with Paly athletes claiming spots in relay, sprinting, distance, and jumping events. Now, as the competition’s stakes have risen, the number of Paly qualifiers has narrowed down to three individuals and two relay teams.

Junior Mike Scott showcased his own wide range of talent by competing in the high jump, long jump, triple jump, and 400-meter relay. Coming into the CCS semifinals, Scott was confident in qualifying for the high jump, which he earned first place in with a jump of 6-4, and the 400 relay, in which he, along with seniors Trent Hart and Will Frazier and freshman Daniel Jones, finished sixth with a personal record (PR) of 43.27 seconds.

Though unsure of how he would perform in the triple and long jump, Scott clinched a third place finish in the triple jump, leaping a PR of 45-07, yet was one spot shy of qualifying for the long jump.

Nonetheless, Scott feels relieved at not having to compete in the long jump at the CCS finals.

“I’m not disappointed,” Scott said “because it only makes my day easier having to do one less event.”

Looking into the future, Scott doesn’t believe he’ll compete after states, but is still proud of how far he’s come.

“I think states would be the farthest I would go this season,” Scott said, “[but that] didn’t even seem like an option when track season first started.”

Freshman Philip MacQuitty also believes he will make it to competition at the state level. Although he was the only freshman running the 3,200-meter race Saturday, he claimed a resounding first place with a time of 9:24.76, finishing more than two seconds before Los Gatos’ second place Matthew Petrillo.

“It was a close race in the end, but I out-kicked [Petrillo], so I’m happy,” MacQuitty said.

Other Paly members who will compete at the CCS finals Friday are senior Trent Hart, who placed eighth in the 100 at 11.23, and the 1,600 relay, comprised of senior Alex Dalal, juniors Willie Xiang and Julius Berezin, and sophomore Paul Brown.

The relay also set a PR for themselves Saturday, finishing in fifth place at 3:26.12.

Brown says he is unsure of how the 1,600 relay will do this week.

“It’s not going to be very likely,” Brown said of the relay qualifying for states after performing in the CCS finals, “but things can happen.”

Though a handful of Paly individuals and relay teams are preparing for the meet Friday, last Saturday’s meet meant the end of the road for others.

Senior Fred Koloto fouled out of his shot put event and will not move on to CCS finals. Though senior Sam Margevicius qualified for both the 110 and 300 hurdles, he decided not to compete in the 300 hurdles and instead focused his attention on the 110 hurdles. However, Margevicius finished the 110 hurdles in 18th place at 16.19 due to difficulties in his start, and also will not advance to CCS finals. While senior Alex Dalal will compete at CCS finals as a member of the 1,600 relay, he did not qualify individually in the 400, finishing 21st with a time of 52.02.

Even so, track and field head coach Jason Fung understands the highly competitive nature of the CCS, and is not at all disappointed by anyone’s performances.

“[That shows] just how good our CCS is,” Fung said.

Fung also understands that the athletes who are advancing to competition Friday are prepared for it.

“They are all capable and ready to perform,” Fung said.

The road to state competition continues at CCS finals Friday at Gilroy High School. Field events begin at 4 p.m. and running events begin at 6 p.m.