"The New Rivals" of Blink 182, Good Charlotte

Remember when Blink 182 assaulted ears in fifth grade and Good Charlotte followed suit, continuing the age of mindless “aggressive punk rock?” Now the sound is back with The New Rivals’ EP Fire for Effect complete with “emo” lyrics and head-banging beats.

The band’s press release proclaims that they are not part of “all that wistful ’emo’ stuff,” but the promo proves this to be only half-true. They are certainly not wistful with self-deprecating lyrics like “You were my lifeline, now nobody’s calling” in their song “Lexican Munch,” but they fully realize the “emo” label.

For all fans of this rock calling, The New Rivals might be just the thing. Even their personal lives are intriguing. Their press packet reveals that this energetic band is made up of “childhood buddies.” “We have all been friends since middle school,” the vocalist, Toby Bevis writes in the packet.

This music is definitely the type to jive to in the middle of a raging mosh pit, but not recommended for novices. An inexperienced listener might lose himself or herself in the somewhat insipid beats.

Guitar and drum-heavy instrumentals result in half-shouted lyrics, but the singer manages to exhibit tone and rhythm under the deafening sound. The major theme of the songs is about trying to succeed – perfect for Americans and the down-trodden everywhere.

The packet proclaims their lyrics as “literate,” which is hard to believe. Lines, when intelligible, like “I spit in the wind and I’m wet on the face/ and I’m always the last one leading the race,” contradict the group’s scholarly claims and leave the listener with a cryptic message.

Every band, no matter the genre, tries to emulate a certain image. In The New Rival’s case, they proclaim themselves as “hard-rocking punk,” according to the press release. With their ridiculous spiked hair, goatees, and several piercings matched with argyle vests and tees, they are hardly hard-core punk, but they do have a funky appeal. Their mainstream music, however, is like every other “emo-rock” band.

Overall, The New Rivals’ music is an acquired taste. Listen to Blink 182 and Good Charlotte first before purchasing The New Rivals’ upcoming 12-track album, planned for release in August.