Paly Glass Sale to be held Thursday

The sixth annual Paly Glass Sale will be held this Thursday near the art building at Paly. Students from Paly’s own renowned program will be selling their artwork just in time for Mother’s Day.

The sale will feature the artwork of about 10 Paly glassblowing students, along with alumni and professional works. The works will be on display and ready to be purchased in the Norseman Gallery, adjacent to the Glass Studio in the art building.

Sculpture and glassblowing teacher David Camner will select the works good enough for sale and put a price on each. The annual sale is primarily a fundraiser for the glassblowing department.

The student-artists will take about 60 percent of the profit from the sale, while the glassblowing department will receive 40 percent from every purchase. The sale is one of the many ways that the glassblowing program fundraises to keep up with the demanding financial needs.

“Glassblowing is beautiful, but it is also a costly program to maintain,” Camner said.

The purpose of the sale is not just as a fundraiser for the department, but it also gives up-and-coming artists a chance to sell their work for a real profit.

“It will be a good experience for them [the students] to get out there and try to sell their work to a real audience,” Camner said.

The sale will feature a variety of glassblowing works. A few objects to be purchased include glass vases, flowers, and pumpkins.

Camner hopes the sale will draw a wide audience, and will bring both attention and financial resources to the program.

“We are mainly catering to the adults of the Paly community, but the more people we can get out here, the better,” Camner said. “Anything that will help support our program is welcome.”

For more information on the Glass Sale, which beings on May 10 from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m., feel free to email Camner at [email protected] .