Speed Limit 25 returns to Paly theater

Paly’s theater students will be performing in a compilation of small skits written and directed by their own peers. This collection of plays is known as “Speed Limit 25” beginning this Thursday.

The production, “Speed Limit 25” received its name because the short plays are created by Paly alumni and current students who are all under the age of 25. Each year, “Speed Limit 25” switches off with another production known as “One Acts”, which are short plays that have been written by outside playwrights.

According to theater teacher, Kristen Lo, there will be eight acts this year, all spanning between 10 to 20 minutes in length.

Lo believes “Speed Limit 25” is a great production for theater students who are interested in more than just acting.

“It is important to see how students playwriting translates into a real performance,” Lo said. “Students should learn how to direct as well as act.”

This year’s student directors of “Speed Limit 25” are seniors Adam Magill, Rachel Wolf, Amy Ackerman; juniors Keely Flanagan, Melanie Spector, Andrew Nizamian, Alison Arams, and sophomore Tom Marks.

According to Lo, there is a wide variety in genre for the plays, ranging from drama to comedy to satire.

Lo has great support for all the playwrights in this production.

“The best stuff comes from student work,” Lo said. “They are all talented playwrites.”

Performances run from May 10 through May 12 and from May 16 through May 19. All performances will be at 8:00 pm except for a matinee at 4:00 pm on May 16. Tickets will be $5 for students and $7 for adults.