Mandarin Immersion reevaluated

The Palo Alto school board heard a revised timeline for the implementation of the Mandarin Immersion choice program at Ohlone Elementary School proposing the implementation of a pilot program beginning in Fall 2008.

The board, which voted against the pilot in late January in a 3-2 decision, remains divided on the controversial issue.

Defending her continuing support of the program, school board member Camille Townsend noted the increasing importance of Chinese language and culture. “The globally connected world we’re living in is a reality to all of us,” Townsend said.

Gail Price, who voted against the proposal in January, remains opposed to Mandarin Immersion. “I am not in favor of a choice program as proposed,” Price said. “My concern is if we start with this, we could have Polish immersion, German immersion. … We continue to act as if we can accept every proposal.”

Mandarin Immersion returns to the school board’s agenda again this spring because proponents of the immersion program are considering applying to the state for a charter school. This state-mandated charter would require significant PAUSD funding and would be wholly devoted to Mandarin Immersion. Faced with either supporting the charter school or reconsidering Ohlone as a “choice school,”
the board decided to review its January immersion decision.

“The charter was a change that forced a new decision [about Mandarin Immersion],” board member Dana Tom said. Tom voted against the proposal initially, but explained that the charter school would place a strain on the district’s resources, and that by reconsidering the choice program at Ohlone, the district could better protect its limited resources. “I am thinking very carefully about choice over charter. I consider Mandarin Immersion a want, not a need, but I am considering voting for a choice program to keep a focus on district needs.”

The community members who spoke at the meeting were unhappy with the board’s reevaluation of the issue.

“Threats for a charter are not the way to go about things in this district,” Lisa Steinbeck said. “By knowingly tying the board’s hands, you do not accept the democratic process.”

Board member Mandy Lowell said, “It [reconsidering] is agony. I am very tired of the amount of time being consumed by it.” She went on to express a desire for a FLES (Foreign Language in Elementary School) program to be studied. “A charter would be more burdensome than a choice program would. Given that, I have to do what’s in the best interest of the kids. Voting down was and continues to be in the best interests of the kids, but they would really like to see world languages before seventh grade.”

“Realistically, we are going to have an immersion program in the next few years on district sites,” Lowell continued. “This district can’t digest all the choice programs. They [Mandarin Immersion proponents] prefer a choice to a charter, but what they really want is a MI program.”

The board will continue to discus FLES and Mandarin Immersion at the May 22 meeting.