Paly choir sings its way to first

The weekend before spring break, Paly’s Concert Choir and Spectrum Singers swept the Anaheim Heritage Festival in Southern California. With only 26 members, the choir took first place in all of its eligible categories to beat 35 other schools from across the country.

“I was so proud of everyone for their work and commitment, and I feel that the choir deserved every award they got,” choir president senior Jasmine Marks said.

The Concert Choir won first place in Division 2A for medium sized schools and was given the Gold Award, an award given to schools that earn a total of 90 or more points. Paly also was the only school to receive a special award that goes to choral groups that earn 95 points or more. Additionally, the Concert Choir was given the Outstanding Choral Group, naming it the best choral group in the competition.

“The choir trip to Disneyland was actually enlightening,” senior Pooja Chaudhuri said. “We learned what we were capable of achieving as a part of the choir.”

The Concert Choir’s repertoire consisted of “Et Union Seule Fluer,” “Oh Danny Boy” and “Aina That Good News.”

“The choir as a whole has been working on some of these pieces from the beginning of the year.” Marks said. “Everyone worked hard to make them sound good, and the smaller choir that went to Disneyland had to work even harder, and I think they really rose to the challenge.”

The Spectrum Singers also had reasons to celebrate winning first place in Division 2A for female singing groups. For the women’s choir category, they tied with La Canada High School from La Canada Flintridge, California.

The choir later celebrated their victories in Disneyland and was pleased that their talents and dedication was recognized.

“I knew our choir was good, but I never expected to do so well,” Marks said. “It was a very gratifying experience, to have our choir recognized for its hard work.”