UCSC Troupe Pi to show quiet side of clowns Friday

A few lucky classes got a taste of mime during sixth period Tuesday as one of the International “Week” activities. Students learned first-hand about certain mime techniques like the robot, picking flowers, and of course the classic “wall” pantomime.

Palo Alto Art Center’s “Clowning Around with Pi” workshop this Saturday at 3 p.m. in the Art Center’s Auditorium will allow students to continue their interest in mime with “Troupe Pi,” a comedy troupe consisting of University of California in Santa Cruz (UCSC) graduates and current students.

This interactive performance is “one of five public programs in ‘Acting Out’ our series of free, open to the public programs in conjunction with this exhibition [‘Actor! Actor!’],” said Lynn Stewart, the coordinator of the event. “Our current exhibit explores the synergy between art and theatre. Clowns, as a significant category of theatrical performance, will be showcased in this public program.”

The Troupe Pi performances are fun to attend, according to Stewart.

Their goal is “to entertain and delight the audience? and broaden their understanding of clowns. It’s mostly a performance, but they might show people how to juggle? or just act silly,” Stewart said.

The students, according to Stewart, all study under “the amazing Patty Gallagher,” an expert in surreal costume, performance and installation art. According to her website, she has traveled around the country to various art shows, displaying her talent in galleries, window installations, and even street performances.

The Troupe’s performances use mime techniques, circus skills and acrobatics in their “short clown sketches with no words,” Stewart said. “They create a world to look at and explore through a lens of wonder.”

The performance is free to the public.