Transcript of Laurence's statement about comedian Daniel Nainan's performance

The following is a transcript of the statement made by Principal Scott Laurence on In Focus during fourth period, Thursday, March 29th, 2007:

Good morning,

I would like to take a few minutes to talk to you about International Festival and the assembly on Monday morning.

First, I would like to thank the large group of parents, students, staff and community members that worked very hard to offer us a wonderful two days. The food, entertainment and the educational speakers allowed us to see the world in different ways then we normally are able to experience. The PTSA, Student Government, and staff all need to be congratulated on a fine event.

Specifically I would like to talk to you about the assembly on Monday. Historically we have had two or three speakers open up the International Week festivities. Usually there are one or two speakers with a serious or educational message, followed by an inspirational speaker or a speaker meant to entertain. The second speaker on Monday was meant to fill the entertainment part of the assembly and has caused quite a stir on campus.

While very well intentioned and inadvertent, the speaker did not meet with the normal cultural norms of Palo Alto High School. His style of humor was not appropriate in the context of what we try to do at Paly on a daily basis. As the monologue went on, I felt more and more uncomfortable with the jokes. I am responsible for the messages that are presented at the school and felt that this was not something that fit in with what we talk about or value. I have talked to a large number of students and staff and the educational leadership at the school. A large number of them also felt uncomfortable at the end of the assembly. We felt that this would be a good teaching and learning opportunity to have a school wide discussion and debrief the assembly in our classes.

Your teachers have a series of questions to prompt a discussion about the assembly. We would like you to take the next few minutes to discuss your feelings about the event.

Thank you for your time and we hope this discussion helps us to build community and further our efforts to make Paly a better place. Thank you.