Track and field team to compete in first home meet of season

Paly’s track and field team will square off against Monte Vista in its first home meet of this season Thursday after school.

Co-captain junior Rajan Narang has long anticipated this home meet.

“It’s about time,” Narang said. “We like having the home track advantage.”

Head girl’s coach Paul Jones agrees that home meets have their benefits.

“We like to have parents and students here,” Jones said. “It’s an advantage to be in a situation that you’re used to, especially for the field athletes.”

This year marks Monte Vista’s second year of competition in the De Anza Division of the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League (SCVAL). Before its transfer to the De Anza Division, Monte Vista’s track and field team competed in SCVAL’s El Camino Division. The De Anza Division is considered the upper section of the league, while the El Camino Division is considered the lower section of the league.

According to Jones, the Palo Alto High School track and field team has competed in the upper division of the SCVAL ever since the league split into its two divisions over 20 years ago.

Narang, Jones, and distance coach Jeff Billing all agree that Monte Vista’s distance team is its main strength. All believe that Paly will face stiff competition from Monte Vista’s senior Simon Bill who runs in the distance events. Nevertheless, Billing believes that Paly will fare successfully.

“That’ll be tough,” Billing said of the team’s ability to be victorious over Bill. “Other than that, I think we should do pretty well.”

Narang is also confident that his team will pull through to victory, and believes that, despite Bill’s presence, the distance team will bring their best performances.

“I think the distance team will put in the most points,” Narang said.

Jones also expects great achievement from Paly’s team, as he believes that this week’s meet will result in Paly domination throughout the scoreboard.

“I think Palo Alto has a good chance of winning on all four levels,” Jones said.

Returning from a reassuring win last Thursday against the Los Gatos Wildcats, whom Billing views to be Paly’s biggest competition, the varsity boys’ record is now 2-0 in the league. Billing hopes that the team will maintain its momentum coming off of its Los Gatos victory and continue its winning streak into this week’s meet and the remaining season.

“We have to make sure there’s no let down,” Billing said. “We’ve got to keep up the intensity for the rest of the year.”

The Paly Vikings face the Monte Vista Matadors Thursday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. on the track.