Varsity Boys' Track triumphant against Los Gatos

The Varsity boys track and field are ready for their first home meet this Thursday after a 21-point victory over highly competitive Los Gatos team Thursday.

The boys finished strong all around in distance, sprints and field events. Many runners also set PR’s (personal records).

“Trenton [Hart] and Will [Frazier] both got PR’s in the 100 and 200,” sprint Jason Fung said.

Trenton finished the 100m with a time of 11.30 seconds, a 0.30 second improvement to his PR.

“I’m kind of out of shape still,” Hart said. “By the end of the season I want to be able to run 11 flat or under. Last time I ran was sophomore year, I took a year off.”

Freshmen Philip MacQuitty ran a superb mile finishing first at 4.29 and first in the 800m with a 2:00:64.

“I felt really good,” MacQuitty said, “Hopefully I’ll get more PRs.”

Junior Julius Berezin claimed second in the 800, finishing right behind MacQuity.

“This was my first real race with competition,” Berezin said. Berezin broke his PR by .45 seconds to finish at 2:00:64.

The boys finished well in the field events, as well, winning the long jump and triple jump.

“We’re perfect where we are,” Fung said regarding Thursday’s performance. “We don’t want to peak out now. We got to peak out in May.”

Coaches and athletes alike are hoping fpr a strong finish at the league championship after beating Los Gatos.

“I think that our distance and sprinter teams are good,” MacQuitty said. Mike Scott will help us a lot. Freshmen Ben [Sklaroff] and Henry [Jordan] will do really well in the future.”

“I think we can [win leagues],” Berezin said. “Gatos has been our big competition in leagues.”

The boys may be doing well, but the runners still need to show their strength to win the league championships.

“We got Los Gatos but we still got to go into leagues winning the things we can win,” Fung said.