International Festival comes to Paly on Monday

Paly’s International Festival will take place Monday, March 26 and Tuesday, March 27. This year’s two -day festival boasts over 16 guest speakers, numerous global foods, and represents 91 countries.

The festival begins Monday with a performance from the Paly choir in the Big Gym, followed by the annual flag carrying ceremony. There is an opportunity for 91 flags to be carried, but coordinators are still looking for volunteers to sign up for flags.

“You don’t have to be from that country,” said head coordinator and parent volunteer Manjiri Subhash. “You can carry a flag if you want to visit that country or just like it.”

The assembly will conclude with a keynote speech from the Erin Ganju, the COO of Room to Read, an organization that has opened more than 3,000 libraries worldwide and a performance from an Asian American Comedian. A (global) lunch will be served on the quad, with foods from Mediterranean/European, Asian/Indian, South of the Border, and Paly Global (a mix of ethnic varieties) foods. A DJ will be playing international throughout the extended lunch, which is an hour and five minutes.

Tuesday’s classes will be 45 minutes long to allow time for speakers that will be coming to the Paly campus.

“There are 16 different speakers, all different walks of life,” Subhash said. Teachers have already signed their classes up for a speaker. There will also be an extended global lunch Tuesday.

Everyone is encouraged to come and participate in all the events and experience different cultures. Subhash encourages students and participants to dress in ethnic clothing.