Paly baseball suffers disappointing loss to Los Altos in league opener

In the opening game of the De Anza league season, the Paly Vikings blew two leads, allowing the Los Altos Eagles to come away with the 10-7 win.

The Vikings (1-5) faced what many consider to be the favorite to win the league title. The Eagles (10-3) have incredible depth on the mound as proven earlier this year after a 3-0 shut out against powerhouse Bellarmine.

Although the Vikings played well in the early innings, they were unable to recover from a disappointing meltdown in the 5th inning and another in the 7th.

“During the first half of the game [the team] was solid,” head coach Dave Jefferson said. “However, once Los Altos started to fight back, we were defeated.”

In the first three innings, Viking senior pitcher Carey Schwartz was able to hold the Eagles with only several hits into the outfield. Junior outfielders Peter Abrams and Michael Martin made many impressive catches to end the scoreless innings. Schwartz was also able to hold the Eagles’ runners close.

“Overall, Carey was solid on the mound,” Martin said. “He played well up until the 5th inning.”

In the 2nd inning, Abrams got the scoring going with a towering opposite field blast over the left-center field fence, giving the Vikings a 2-0 lead. The Vikings added to their lead with a RBI by senior Kevin Dexter, and impressive base running from Martin.

“We definitely came out well in the beginning,” Jefferson said.

“Our bats were going,” Martin said. “Peter had a big homerun to start us off early in the game. It is what gave us our spark.”

After allowing two runs in the fifth inning, only one of which was earned, the Vikings entered the 6th inning with a 4-2 lead. After a single, a high chopper over third base and a walk, Schwartz was replaced by sophomore Steven Burk. Burk then allowed a bloop double, scoring two runs and after an errant throw from junior Tyger Pederson on the next play, the Eagles had taken the 5-4 lead.

The Vikings did not give up, storming back to take the 7-5 lead in the bottom of the 6th thanks to an overturned call by the home plate umpire and two Eagle errors.

With only three outs needed for the win, the Vikings could not put it away, as the Eagles began peppering the outfield with line drives. Seven hits and five runs later, the Eagles were leading 10-7. The two meltdown innings cost the Vikings the game.

“We made some physical and mental errors,” said Jefferson. “Our team definitely needs to improve on consistency in our defense.”

The Vikings played the Eagles again on Friday, losing 12-1 in a blowout. After another crushing loss to Sacred Heart in a non-league contest on Saturday, the Vikings enter this week in a skid, but look to rebound against cross-town rival Gunn.

The Vikings head to Gunn on Wednesday before the Titans come to Paly on Friday. Both games begin at 3:30 p.m. and are essential if the Vikings are to compete for a playoff spot.