Anything Goes a delightful success

“Anything Goes” blew its audience away this Friday at the Haymarket Theater, with outstanding individual performances all around and combinations of music and dance.

The musical takes place on a ship sailing from New York to England. An unusual group of passengers attempt to deal with their own problems, and take part in many comedic events along the way.

Billy Crocker, played by sophomore Alex Nee is a stowaway assistant for wealthy New York businessman, Elisha Witney, played by senior John Stirrat. In love with Hope Harcourt (senior Paige Haverstock) after spending an unforgettable night with her, Crocker realizes they can never be together as she will be marrying Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (junior Alex Gaya) a clueless but wealthy English fellow.

However once Crocker meets up with Moonface Martin (senior Elan Maier), the two plot together to break up the marriage between Hope and Lord Oakleigh with the help of the overconfident and glamorous nightclub singer, Reno Sweeny (senior Kat Cravens).

Cravens stole the spotlight in numerous musical numbers, captivating the audience with songs such as “I Get A Kick Out of You” and “Anything Goes.”

“Once the first song is over, I know I can do the rest of the show,” Cravens said, laughing.

Cravens also performed duos with both Maier and Nee. Their synchronized tap dancing routines and singing numbers captivated the audience.

In Cravens and Maier’s duo, “Friendship,” the two sing of how they can always count on each other, exchanging ironically funny phrases such as “if you ever get sawed in half, I won’t laugh.”

Maier, known as Moonface Martin, or as his lady friend Erma (junior Kelly Hafner) reminds him, “public enemy number 13,” brought a comedic twist with his somewhat pathetic gangster abilities. He constantly carries a violin case around with a gun inside, always suspecting the police are after him, despite his low profile.

Nee also had many musical numbers, noting the difficulty of having to extend his range. Many of the actors had to do for this production as the songs were keyed for Broadway singers according to Nee.

The musical also includes comedic and entertaining touches such as a group of four singing sailors who appear in a number of scenes.

“The sailors bawl me over with happiness!” Cravens said.

Most surprising to the actors was the reactions from the audience.

“It was the first time we had to freeze for clapping,” Cravens said. “It was so much fun; the audience was laughing for a change.”

“Anything Goes” also had an addition of many new faces, surprising both actors and audience members.

Junior Kelly Hafner, played Erma, who comes with Moonface Martin in order to find the top public enemy number one, Snake Eyes. Throughout the play, Hafner nags at Maier with her Brooklyn accent, and finding chances to seduce men.

“She blew me away,” senior Royi Gavrielov said. “It was a pleasant surprise.”

In Hafner’s solo, “Buddie, Beware,” the audience cried from laughter as Hafner lay on the four sailors rolling across the stage.

Other choir members such as Alex Gaya enjoyed playing large roles in the play.

“The thing about choir people is they tend to be actor people as well,” Gaya said.

Many actors noted that the tap dancing was the hardest part.

“Well some of us were very experienced and others just were not,” Gavrielov said.

Overall, the cast and crew were excited about the success of the first show.

“This was the best audience I’ve ever had by far,” Gaya said.