Principal appointed assistant superintendent

The Palo Alto School Board announced at its meeting earlier this evening that Principal Scott Laurence will be leaving Palo Alto High School at the end of this school year, to serve the district as assistant superintendent.

With 21 years of teaching and administrative roles in the district, Laurence will bring his knowledge and experiences to his new position. As assistant superintendent, Laurence’s duties will include preparing for an increase in high school students within the district, working to support PAUSD sites and helping to relieve some of the workload that has accumulated in the district office due to staff cuts.

“I am hoping that my moving to the district will be of value to both the Paly community and the district as a whole,” Laurence said in a letter to the community. “One of my personal goals is to build on my relationships in the community and with the people that work across the school district, in the hopes of helping to smooth the transition of the new Superintendent.”

“Scott will be able provide his insights to the High School Task Force and other special projects and provide his expertise in problem solving, human relations, and communications,” PAUSD Superintendent Mary Frances Callahan, said.

The assistant superintendent position was vacated in 2002 by a retirement and has not been filled since, yet Board President Camille Townsend is enthusiastic about Laurence’s forthcoming role.

“I can express for the Board how pleased we are to have Scott in this role,” Board President Camille Townsend, said. “His knowledge of the district, management skills, and rapport with the community make him a perfect fit for the position.”

Laurence expressed regret about leaving Paly, but contended that the school will continue to thrive despite his absence.

“There would never be a good time to leave Paly for me, but I know I can leave confident in the knowledge that Paly is in a very good place,” Laurence said.

Townsend said that part of the motivation for appointing Laurence as assistant superintendent was to prevent him from moving to another district.

“We were likely to lose you, so the board decided to use this opportunity,” Townsend said.

Board member Barb Mitchell agreed, saying, “We wouldn’t want to be losing Scotty [Scott Laurence] at Paly…but I am excited about this decision.”

There is no word yet about who will fill Laurence’s position as Paly’s principal.