New AMC roots out weaker students

Math teachers are digesting the results of this year’s American Math Contest, which feature one of the lowest numbers of students in Paly history who qualified for the next test in the competition.

“Only 31 of the students that took the AMC this year made it to the next level,” according to Paly Math Department Teacher Advisor Suzanne Antink. “This year, the test got a lot harder, so compared to last year with over 60 students making it, it was quite a challenge.”

Due to complaints from various schools around the country about last years test, the Committee of the American Mathematics Competitions (CMAC) decided to change the way in which they score and write tests.

“This year, students received 0 for a wrong answer, 1.5 for a blank, and 5 or 6 points for a correct answer.” Antink said. “Last years blanks were worth 2.5 points each, so it made the threshold easier.

Additionally, the board decided to take the qualification for the AIME to 97.5 points on the AMC 12A, and to 100 points on the AMC 12B (the second test which was held during “ski week”).

Despite the change in scoring, some students still succeeded to place extremely high on the AMC.

“I was happy about how I did on the AMC 12B,” says Math Club President Adrian Sanborn. “On the AMC 12A, I answered all the questions and got five wrong. On the B, I answered 23 and got them all correct.”

High ranking students prepared long before the AMC was actually given, generally with the help of Math Club and the high level math classes that they take.

“The problems that were handed out in Math Club were pretty interesting and helpful.” says freshman Lynnelle Ye, who ranked 2nd in Paly. “Being in the club gave me an opportunity to participate in some other interesting contests like the Mandelbrot, which helped me get more testing experience.”

“We spent about three weeks preparing of the contest in Math Club.” says Sanborn. “I took problems from old AMC tests, organized them by subject, and compiled three worksheets. We then did the problems in the club, and talked about the answers and solutions.”

Despite the many challenges that faced the students this year, students are still looking forward to the next test.

“In general, I like math,” said junior Colleen Lee, who scored 3rd on the test. “The AMC provides a good range of problems covering all sorts of topics. I hope to make it to the USAMO (United States of America Mathematics Olympiad) this year, and improve my AIME/USAMO score from last year.”

“My goal is to do well enough on the USAMO to qualify for the US International Math Olympiad team.” says Sanborn.

Along with this goal, Sanborn already made Paly history this year.

“This year we have two medalists from Paly,” Antink says. “Adrian Sanborn received a Bronze Medal, for being a school winner two times, which there are only about 10 in the nation, and Aaron Jones won a Silver Medal, the first in my 24 years at Paly.”