Admins lend assistance to site council

The Paly administrative team worked with Site Council members during the Monday, Jan 29 Site Council meeting to reach their goals for the 06-07 school year, to decrease student stress, introduce an intramural program, and increase the numbers of minorities in both advanced core classes and all areas of Paly life.

The team, which included Principal Scott Laurence, Assistant Principal and Instructional Supervisor Chuck Merritt, Guidance Counselor Susan Schultz, Assisstant Principal Katya Villalobos, and Administrator Jerry Berkson, addressed Site Council before dividing themselves among the three subcommittees.

Laurence and Berkson joined the intramural committee, which includes Paly parent Katy Hall in discussing the details involved in the proposed intramural program. There were questions about student interest and feasibility. The team decided to add some questions to the Stressed Out Students survey, which is given in the spring, about interests in activities and convenient times for activity scheduling. The intramural program is geared towards students who are interested in sports but are cut from school teams, students who are unable to participate on school teams due to time constraints, and students who simply want to play.

According to Assistant Principal Merritt, 14 of 20 requests for block grants have already been granted. Many requests were technological, such as computers for the Special Education department, the health office, the College and Career Center, and for Independent Study use. There were also several requests for printers from various departments. The special education department asked for math and English CAHSEE preparatory materials. Living Skills requested money for CPR and first aid materials, as well as ten babies and supplies for the classes. According to Merritt, these supplies have already been ordered, and the babies are “diversified” in gender and race. Merritt said that professional development funds have been used to send teachers to conferences, but the money may be used to provide more training o teachers of AP classes.

The College Board recently implemented an audit of AP courses, according to Merritt. Teachers are required to submit syllabi and supporting materials. This is due to a rise in the number of AP courses with teachers who encourage their students to refrain from taking the AP tests. The College Board intends to standardize AP classes and avoid inflation of GPAs.

The meeting ended with the committees reporting to the rest of Site Council and making plans to continue furthering their objectives.

The next Site Council meeting is Monday, Feb. 12, in the staff lounge from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., where members will be receiving updates from instructional supervisors and the School Board.