Valentine's choir concert set for Feb. 9

A lonely young woman travels from her “home, sweet, home” in Modesto to Paris. In Paris she meets an attractive, but sleazy French guy. While she is ogling him, her best friend plans to meet her in Paris and confess his love for her.

No, this is not the newest ABC hit drama, but “With Love from Paris,” Paly’s own Valentine’s Day choir concert. The concert, which features all the choirs on campus, will grace the Student Center on Feb. 9 at 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets will be sold at the door and are $5 for students and $8 for everyone else.

Even though it is in the student center, the concert will assume a peaceful and casual environment. “We transform whatever venue we’re in into a relaxed lounge,” Paly choir teacher Michael Najar said. “In this case, that means a Parisian caf?. You can hear singing and see the Eiffel tower in the distance.”

“It’s normally off campus, so this year we’re hoping to get a lot more students and teachers to come — especially because of the after school showing,” Najar said.

To help get audience members in the mood, there will be desserts and drinks to complement the decorations.

“Our pops concert is more relaxed than our other concerts. They [the other concerts] tend to feature more serious choral music, while this has a lot more fun things,” said senior Jasmine Mark, who also is Choir President, a Heart Beats member, a Madrigal singer, and a Concert Choir member. “It’s a chance for kids to pick a song to sing by themselves and to show people what they can do.”

The great thing about the concert, according to Najar, is that it is entirely student run.

“We [the choir staff] split up responsibilities, food, scripts, publicity, fundraising, and decorations,” Mark said.

The Valentine’s Day concert is the Paly Choir’s biggest fundraiser of the year, according to Najar. The proceeds go to help purchase new music and support travel.

Another aspect of this annual event that stands apart from most of the other choir concerts, according to Najar, is that it features jazz, Broadway, and pop hits – in other words, no classic choral songs.

The songs themselves will help tell the love story that unfolds before the audience during concert. In between the songs, however, actors and actresses, accompanied by narrators, will illustrate the drama. On stage, Michelle, played by senior Savannah Hall, is the main character while senior Ellen Weaver narrates. The dorky friend, played by junior John Kutay,, will keep her company while junior Alex Gaya gives him a voice. The sleazy French guy (senior Andrew Proudian) acts alongside Hall and Kutay while junior Andrew Levin tells his side of the story.

According to Mark, The concert music is spliced with plenty of solos from all of the Paly choirs and the Jordan Choir will even join in on one song, “Adel Weiss.”

“The point is to enjoy the music and try to give it life, even if it doesn’t relate directly to our lives,” Mark said.

In general, students and Najar alike are excited for the concert.

“The choir has improved in so many ways over the year,” Najar said. “It’s bigger, stronger, and we’re starting to gel as a group.”

“It’s definitely going to be a fun concert,” Mark said.