Girls soccer pulls out win against Los Gatos

The Vikings are on their way towards CCS after a 2-1 win Friday against the Los Gatos Wildcats.

The Palo Alto Lady Vikings (11-3-4, 6-2-2 league) came out strong after their tie to Homestead Wednesday, but barely squeaked by with their second 2-1 win over the Wildcats (7-11-2, 4-7-2) of the season.

The Vikings got their offense going quickly and, as usual, were the first to score in the contest. In the 12th minute, Paly led an offensive drive into the Los Gatos backfield, and was awarded a direct free kick. From outside the 18-yard box, junior Theresa Noyola sent a laser through the hands of the Los Gatos keeper to put Paly on the board.

The Wildcats had just a few shots on goal during the half, but were not able to convert.

Both teams struggled to put together offensive strikes during the remaining minutes of the half, and Paly came off the field holding the 1-0 lead.

The majority of the second half brought more of the same, and the action remained 1-0 in the favor of Palo Alto for 30 more minutes.

In the 70th minute, Paly was able to put together a scoring opportunity and again ended up with a direct kick outside the Los Gatos 18-yard box. Noyola took the kick curving into the right side of the Wildcat goal, causing the keeper to fumble the ball, and score. With only ten minutes left in the game, the Vikings led two goals to nil.

But the Wildcats did not lie down. In the 75th minute they scored after a scramble in front of the Paly net, bringing Los Gatos within one goal of the Vikings.

The last five minutes passed in slow-motion for the Vikings, as the Wildcats made a final push to tie the score. In an effort to prevent another Los Gatos strike, Palo Alto coach Ernesto Cruz pulled out a forward and put in an extra defender. The switch gave the Wildcats more possession time as Paly could no longer control the ball up front, but also ensured a more stable defense for the Vikings.

Finally, the whistle blew to end the game and Paly escaped overtime from the Wildcats with their 2-1 victory.

Paly will finish its regular season this upcoming week with two games Monday and Wednesday both against the second place team in leagues, Monta Vista.