Mustangs trample Vikings in fast paced match

After being thumped 3-0 by the Palo Alto boys’ soccer team on Jan. 10, the Homestead Mustangs took their opportunity for revenge early Wednesday night, capitalizing on Palo Alto mistakes to win 5-1.

Palo Alto (7-7-3, 6-3-2 in league) started strong as they dominated the midfield and controlled the ball for the first ten minutes. Without starting goalie Peter Johnson who was sick with the flu, Palo Alto needed to control the ball as much as possible. Palo Alto had an opportunity to score in the first three minutes, but freshman Jenner Fox’s header spun wide right.

The tide quickly changed when Homestead capitalized off a corner kick in the 11th minute. Two minutes later, a Homestead striker broke loose in the open field and found himself in a one-on-one situation with junior backup goalie Max Lloyd. As the ball rocketed toward the goal, Lloyd dove a split second too late. The ball slipped through his hands and he could only watch as it slowly rolled over the goal line, giving the Mustangs the 2-0 lead.

“Coming out of the gates, we were playing awesome, just awesome. For the first 10 minutes we were doing everything right,” said head coach Don Briggs. “Then all of a sudden they scored one out of nowhere, and then two minutes later they scored again.”

Down 2-0 just 15 minutes into the game without making any serious mistakes, Palo Alto stuck to the same style of play. While Palo Alto was still winning most of the 50-50 balls, the Homestead strikers began to connect on more through passes. Palo Alto’s offense continued to put pressure on the Homestead defense, but they were continually unable to finish.

Homestead’s goalie, however, made an acrobatic save that stopped Steigar’s half volley just short. In the 30th minute Steigar was at it again as he rushed down the field. Three jukes and three defenders later, Steigar came out with a one-on-one situation with the keeper, but his shot sailed wide right.

In what was Palo Alto’s last scoring opportunity of the first half, sophomore Adam Zernik chipped a cross into the 18-yard box. After several deflections, Homestead cleared the ball to junior Zal Dordi, who got a solid shot off into what would have been the upper right corner. A Homestead defender got a head on the ball and deflected it to the goalie.

The next 10 minutes passed with possession rapidly changing in the midfield. Palo Alto’s physical play hindered the Homestead offense from getting anything going. In what seemed to be a last second push by Briggs, senior sweeper Patrick Alonis was moved up to forward.

Palo Alto’s offense quickly regained composure and put some pressure on the Homestead back line. But without Alonis playing defense, Homestead broke through in the final minute of the half. An off target shot bounced around in the box and eventually was volleyed in by a Homestead striker as the Vikings failed to clear the ball.

“We generally were playing pretty well in the first half, but they punished us every time the defense made a small mistake,” Briggs said. “We had a few marking problems and the Homestead strikers capitalized off those mistakes.”

Down 3-0 coming into the second half, Briggs subbed in some more offensively minded players. This move paid off quickly as 50 seconds in freshman Elliot Sanborn lofted in a cross to senior Ari Memar who put the ball into the back of the net.

With powerful Alonis and speedy Steigar as constant threats to the Homestead defense, Palo Alto broke deep into Homestead territory for several minutes. Homestead, however, continually made strong defensive plays that stopped Palo Alto just short of scoring.

In the 60th minute, Dordi, the temporary captain of the defense while Alonis played forward, went down with a loud yell. As Dordi rolled on the field in pain, it seemed as if Palo Alto attempt at a comeback came to a sudden stop. Dordi slowly limped off the field supported by Briggs. Dordi did not return to the game and will miss the rest of the season with several broken toes.

Dordi’s loss was felt as three minutes later Homestead converted on a corner kick. Palo Alto quickly, but unsuccessfully responded as Fox connected with Alonis. Alonis who launched a shot that flew over the goal.

In the 27th minute of the second half, sophomore Jonathan Harrison nearly scored off of an Alonis throw in, but as Palo Alto had been doing the entire game, Harrison’s shot was wide right.

After 75 minutes of physical soccer, Homestead wasn’t satisfied yet. A wild shot on goal that slipped through Max Lloyd’s hands sealed the deal as Homestead avenged their earlier loss with a dominating 5-1 victory.

“Coming out of the gates in the second half we scored right away,” said Briggs. “We were building up some momentum with Patrick at forward, and then Zal went down. Then they scored, and we started playing desperate soccer.”

Palo Alto’s next home game is Wednesday, February 7th against crosstown rival Gunn. Gunn could possibly prevent Palo Alto from gaining a berth in CCS.