Clubs prepare for sweet Candyland-themed Winter Formal

The Action in Africa, Key, and Youth Community Service clubs are finalizing plans for the second annual Winter Formal benefit set for Saturday night.

With the dance less than a week away, all three clubs have official and specific roles in helping to prepare for the dance itself.

The Action in Africa Club is in charge of the production of the Winter Formal, according to Action in Africa president, senior Adam Whitfield.

"Originally Action in Africa was only supposed to organize decorations for the formal," Whitfield said. "However as the formal took shape, Action in Africa began to take on more tasks, including advertising with posters and In Focus segments, and getting donations."

The Action in Africa Club was responsible for convincing Kiki’s Candy Bar to provide candy for the attendees of the Winter Formal, according to Whitfield.

The Key Club’s main role in the Winter Formal this year is to oversee publicity for the dance, according to YCS co-president, senior Elaine Chen.

YCS’s main role in organizing the Winter Formal is activism for the event, according to Chen.

"Along with inviting speakers, YCS also coordinates food donations, ticket sales, volunteers for set-up and clean-up, and other logistical details," YCS co-president, senior Caterina Yuan said.

Despite the fact that the three clubs have each been assigned specific jobs to prepare for the dance, members of the clubs often join together and cooperate as a whole.

"Our jobs are often mingled together so everyone has a part in everything," Chen said.

All proceeds from this year’s Winter Formal will be donated to Doctors Without Borders in Darfur and Hope Enterprises, according to Yuan. Both Doctors Without Borders in Darfur and Hope Enterprises are international humanitarian organizations.

Doctors Without Borders in Darfur is Doctors Without Borders’ largest operation with a budget of $25 million in 2006, according to the organization’s website. It provides medical aid and healthcare for refugees of civil war in Darfur. Hope Enterprises is an organization based in Ethiopia which provides "meals for street children, educational opportunities, and funding," Yuan said.

Dance attendees will be able to enjoy treats donated from Kiki’s Candy Bar and DJs from Wild 94.9, who will provide the music for the dance. There will also be free food and water and a professional photographer from Prestige Portraits at the Winter Formal, according to Yuan.

Formal attire at the dance is required, which means "no jean skirts for girls; no jeans for guys," Yuan said. "Guys should wear a button down shirt and girls should wear nice pants or dresses."

Chen suggests that students come to the dance dressed in colorful clothing since the theme for the Winter Formal is Candyland, which involves bright and cheerful decorations.

Yuan considers the Winter Formal a unique opportunity that students can be a part of.

"It’s a chance for underclassmen who can’t go to Prom to dress up and it’s the only dance between Homecoming and Prom," said Yuan of the Winter Formal. "It’s also raising money for a good cause."

Key Club president, senior Alex Ji, seems optimistic about the outcome of the dance this year.

"We’ve put a lot of work into making this a great event," Ji said. "I encourage everyone to go and see for themselves!"

In addition, Whitfield believes that this year’s Winter Formal will be a dance to remember.

"This year’s winter formal should be extremely successful and, more importantly, fun," Whitfield said. "After this, winter formals will no longer be looked at as the over-priced dances that no one goes to."

The Winter Formal will be from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 3 in the big gym. Students still have until Friday to buy tickets for the Winter Formal in the quad or auditor’s office. Tickets cost $20 for students and $25 for guests.