"Classic and Timeless Toys" exhibit excites viewers

Rocking horses, board games, dolls, and and toy cars line the shelves of the historic, charming museum. Children enjoy their favorites, while adults rekindle old memories. The “Classic and Timeless Toys” exhibit this month at the Museum of American Heritage [MOAH] located in Palo Alto attracts people of all ages to experience childhood memories.

Located in the historic Williams House and Gardens of downtown Palo Alto, the exhibit contains a collection of more than 75 classic toys, picked by a panel of volunteers ranging ages 8 to 88. Theodora Nelson, the director of the exhibit, says that the family friendly concept was designed to appear around the holiday season and was based on the Toy Hall of Fame in Rochester, New York.

“At holiday season every year we feature an exhibit that is especially family-friendly and fun for people of all ages,” Nelson said. ” The [Exhibits Committee] compiled a list of toys and classic books. Because our museum focuses on electrical and mechanical inventions, we gave extra weight to that demonstrated these principles.”

The toys include old favorites, such as kaleidoscopes and Lincoln Logs, to newer classics, like the Frisbee. All of the objects feature informative commentaries that explain their history and story behind their invention. Along with the toys, the exhibit also features original paintings and drawings by Palo Alto Unified School District students, ages 4 to 11.

According to Nelson, “Classic and Timeless Toys” delights both the young and the elderly.

“The adults enjoy the nostalgia of revisiting toys of their youth, and the children are intrigued to see what their parents and grandparents played with,” Nelson said. “Everyone also seems to enjoy the stories behind the toys’ inventions.”

Sponsored by the Palo Alto Sport Shop and Toy World, “Classic and Timeless Toys”
features a small gift shop that sells updated items of many of the toys in the museum. The profit of the products goes towards MOAH, while a small part benefits Palo Alto Sport Shop and Toy World.

The exhibit is at MOAH located at 351 Homer Avenue in downtown Palo Alto until Jan. 28, and is open from 11 a.m- 4 p.m on Fridays through Sundays.