Local students to hold "Songs for Sudan" concert

Six emerging local teen bands will perform a benefit concert on Sat. January 20 at Kiki’s Candy Bar to bring awareness to other teens of the genocide in Darfur, Sudan.

Sponsoring the concert is a Bay Area youth group named Youth Alliance for Darfur, also known as YADA.

The group was founded by juniors Lauren Augustine and Allison Hoffman from Castilleja, Molly Dellheim, Max Magnuson, and Leah Rappaport from Woodside Priory, and Marissa Palmor from Los Altos High in September of 2006.

The concert labeled "Songs for Sudan" is the group’s first event for the teen community to come together, spread awareness, and raise money for the Genocide Intervention Network.

Adam Whitfield, a senior at Paly will be representing Action in Africa, YADA’s partner organization for the benefit concert. Fifteen percent of proceeds from "Songs for Sudan" will go to Action in Africa.

"The concert is going to be a great opportunity for teens to come together in support of a great cause," Castilleja junior Lauren Augustine said. "Teens are overlooked as advocates for change, but at events like this where teens gather in mass, their voices are undeniable."

The event will be specifically geared towards teenagers, who will be raising money for Darfur, attending the concert, and playing the music.

"The concert is high school bands playing for high school students," Rappaport said. "It allows students to have fun and benefits as an important cause at the same time."

Bands performing at the concert include Careful Dane, My Little Friend, Flawed Logic, Art and Ransom, Circumsax, and Saadi Halil. All bands are made up of students from schools around the Bay Area.

"The bands are all really great and even have songs written specifically for the concert," Augustine said.

CDs as well as t-shirts with the YADA logo will be sold at the concert. Along with admission fees, profits from the merchandise will go towards Genocide Intervention Network and Action in Africa.

"We would like to mainly raise money and awareness for the cause," Rappaport said. "We will also have information about the genocide at the merchandise table so that people know more about the cause to which their money is going."

As for events after this concert, YADA does not have definite plans, but ideas for what is coming next.

"YADA is not going to disappear after this concert," Augustine said. "This will be the first of many YADA events to raise awareness and funds for Darfur."

Castilleja junior Allison Hoffman said, "We are considering a sponsored dinner, vigil, dance-off, writing campaign, carwash, and more. Stay posted."

Parking at the event is very limited, so YADA suggests that attendees carpool. Tickets at the door will be $7 and $5 in advance at certain school locations.

"It’s going to be amazing to see students from schools all over the Bay Area come together for a common cause," Augustine said. "Students rarely mix with students from other schools. This concert just shows that all over the Peninsula there are students that share common beliefs and interests."

According to the Genocide Intervention Network, over 450,000 people have been murdered during the genocide so far and around 2.5 million people have been displaced. Money from the benefit concert will go to the Genocide Intervention Network to stop and prevent genocide.

"Songs in Sudan" will give teens a way to take part in stopping the genocide in Darfur.

"It’s on a Saturday night," Hoffman said. "Bring your friends. This is Palo Alto, you really don’t have anything else to do. Plus, it’s an awesome cause and we promise a great time. Hopefully you’ll also come away from it with a greater insight and awareness."

The concert will take place at 7 p.m. on Sat. January 20 with tickets for $7 at the door and $5 at select schools at 3750 Fabian Way Kiki’s Candy Bar in Palo Alto.