Returning to his post: Mohammed Abid runs unopposed

President Abid returns this semester running unopposed in the upcoming ASB elections. Junior Mohammed Abid will be serving his third term as ASB president.

"In all honesty, it is a relief that I’m running unopposed but at the same time it just means that I’ve got more responsibility and more is expected of me." Abid said.

The role of ASB president includes signing bills, running various student council and clubs meetings, and overlooking the organization of prom, dances, and rallies. Abid must also write a monthly PTSA letter and serve on the PTSA grants committee.

"This involves approving or denying grants on a daily basis through email, attending a monthly PTA meeting, representing Paly at community meetings and a whole host of other responsibilities aside from ones that I take on my own." Abid said.

Surprisingly, it is not hard to get involved in the elections. The only requirements are a 2.5 GPA and a teacher recommendation.

"The main reason I want to be ASB president is so that I can fulfill my promises. It’s definitely fun, but a lot of commitment, time, and energy." Abid said.

Abid says he will conduct his new term differently this year. He wants to introduce new ideas to the student body, including an ASB website, creating a student game room, and having an "awesome prom."

"I was going to vote for Mohammed anyway," Junior Nanor Balabanian said. "He’s been a great president. It shows that he’s already fit for president and he’s proved himself through these two years."

Senior Anne Widera attempted to be considered as a write-in candidate for ASB president but any vote towards her will not count because the machine that counts the votes will not recognize any write-ins of any kind.

"She [Widera] felt that the campaign wasn’t advertised, but we’ve been advertising consistently for over a month," Student Activities director Allye Davies said.