Jenny Whyte vies for Vice Presidential position

Junior Jenny Whyte strongly believes that an effective student council must derive its power from the individual entities that compose its student body. Her goal of giving voice to such groups is what motivated her to run for the position of vice president.

Whyte, one of three vice presidential candidates in the upcoming ASB election, says that her determination and tenacity are qualities that distinguish her from the other contenders.

"I want the public to know about me because I know I am someone who’s determined enough to try and change Paly in a positive aspect," Whyte said. "I’m reliable, trustworthy, and open to new ideas that are foreign from mine."

Whyte, whose leadership experiences include being captain of her JV water polo team, has aspired to run for a student government position since she was in middle school.

"I’ve always wanted to have an influence in school activities as well as improving Paly life," Whyte said. "I thought, since I’m now an upperclassman I would have more of a chance [of winning] than I would have as a sophomore or as a freshmen."

If elected to office, Whyte hopes above all to gain the confidence of her constituents. She plans on using their suggestions in her effort to implement changes at Paly.

"I’m still formulating some ideas for what I want to change at Paly," Whyte said. "I want people to feel comfortable enough to come to me as a vice president to share ideas and put their trust in me."

At this point in her campaign, Whyte entertains one specific objective.

"I would like to give more power to individual groups such as the new dance team that’s emerged," Whyte said.

Although Whyte holds her opponents in high esteem, she considers herself the most apt candidate for the job.

"I’ve wanted to do this for a very long time, and am ready to work as hard as I need to work in order to fulfill students’ wishes to the best of my ability," Whyte said.