Caltrain Holiday Train rings in the holiday season

As the illuminated train pulled into the historic Menlo Park train station, the children’s faces glowed with delight. Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph the red-nosed Reindeer danced with glee as thousands of spectators welcomed the holiday season atop Caltrain’s sixth annual Holiday Train in a scene repeated on Dec. 2 and Dec. 3.

The Holiday Train, which consists of two old-fashioned passenger cars, a baggage car, caboose, and special platform for Santa Claus and his carolers, visited nine train stations around the Bay Area for 20-minute shows at each stop. The train featured over 4,000 lights and decorations. According to local police, the train attracted an estimated 2,000 spectators at the Menlo Park Train Station show alone.

Although the Holiday Train was a fun attraction to commence the Christmas season, its main purpose was to generate book and toy donations for the needy in the Bay Area. The U.S. Marine Corps Reserve’s Toys for Tots program and the Salvation Army welcomed new, unwrapped toys and books for children of all ages. According to Caltrain, more than 25,000 items have been collected since the Holiday Train’s inaugural trip in 2001.

Local music groups entertained the guests. Cisco Singers, the Cisco Systems choral band, sang Christmas carols on the stage as Santa greeted guests. Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra (PACO) string quartet also performed at the station.

Locals hailed the event as a huge success, bringing in thousands of toys for the needy and entertaining guests of all ages.

"All the decorations are great for my 16-month old daughter, " said Tim Kerns, a local participant. "She loved the lights."