Palo Alto falls short in CIF Division II State Championship

In Palo Alto’s first California State Championship in 79 years, Orange Lutheran’s tremendous offense out-played Palo Alto in a 42-28 win. Palo Alto’s three late touchdowns between senior Nick Goodspeed and junior Mike Scott were not enough and came too late to change the outcome of the game.

Southern California’s Orange Lutheran featured three division one players including USC bound quarterback Aaron Corp, Boise State bound Austin Pettis, and USC bound two-way lineman Michael Reardon. Orange Lutheran defeated five teams ranked in the Top 25 of MaxPreps’ California State Rankings on their way to the CIF Division II State Championship: Long Beach Poly (No. 4), Edison (No. 5), Santa Margarita (No. 8), Mater Dei (No. 15), and San Clemente (No. 25).

Palo Alto fought its way into the championship game by beating Aragon, Palma, and Oak Grove in the Central Coast Section Open Division playoffs. The Vikings won those three games by a total of just seven points.

Coming into the game, senior quarterback Aaron Corp had passed for 2,537 yards, 17 touchdowns, and seven interceptions, while rushing for 1,044 and 10 touchdowns. Palo Alto’s quarterback Nick Goodspeed had passed for 1,810 yards, 15 touchdowns, and seven interceptions. The leading rusher on Palo Alto, senior Will Frazier, had run for 1,057 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Through all of Palo Alto’s attempts to stop the explosive offense, Corp tossed and twisted away from the Palo Alto defense as he rushed for 121 yards and two touchdowns, and passed for 181 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions.

By the end of the first half, Palo Alto finished with 10 first downs, 72 rushing yards, 108 total yards resulting in 180 total yards. Their only turnover came off of a Mike Scott fumble on the opening drive. Meanwhile, Orange Lutheran had 13 first downs, 120 rushing yards, 113 passing yards resulting in 233 total yards. They had no turnovers.

Paly’s first touchdown came late during the second quarter on a Nick Goodspeed pass to Mike Scott that finished a 10 play, 64-yard drive that lasted four minutes and 13 seconds.

Paly’s second touchdown came in the fourth quarter came on a 15-yard bullet from Nick Goodspeed to Mike Scott that brought the score to 35-14. Orange Lutheran quickly responded with another touchdown off a 50-yard touchdown run by Corp.

Palo Alto’s third touchdown came after yet another brilliant 50-yard pass from Goodspeed to Mike Scott. The drive was finished off by a two-yard touchdown run by Sione Mataele that brought the score to 42-21. Paly won the onside kick attempt and found themselves with the ball on their own 40. Nick Goodspeed’s steady arm led Palo Alto down the field and the 60-yard drive concluded with Sione Mataele rumbling into the end zone, bringing the score to 42-28.

Orange Lutheran successfully caught Palo Alto’s next onside kick; though were soon forced to punt. Nick Goodspeed and the Viking’s got the ball back with about two minutes to play, but on fourth and 10, Goodspeed’s last second throw was intercepted. With less then two minutes left in the game, Lutheran opted to kneel out the balance of regulation.