Students bear gifts to the needy

With this year’s holiday season just around the corner, children around the world are looking forward to presents of all shapes and sizes, but some kids in the Bay Area are not so fortunate.

In hopes of bringing holiday cheer into these children’s lives, Palo Alto High School will be hosting a toy drive. Stuffed animals for children around the Bay Area will be collected Monday, Dec. 11 thru Friday, Dec. 15 in the center room of the history building.

The One Bear Project, an organization founded three and a half years ago by Fremont resident Karen Kadaja, will distribute the presents.

The toys go to a variety of centers in underprivileged neighborhoods where children and parents can come to pick up the bears.

"Toys (are given) to kids in orphanages, hospitals and kids whose parents can’t afford presents," Kelsey Liu, the program organizer at Paly said.

More than 300 bears were collected in the first One Bear Project toy drive, and numbers have steadily risen. However, Liu says that there is no specific goal of bears that they wish to reach.

"There’s no goal for the toy drive, if anyone brings anything we will be ecstatic," Liu said. "There’s no specific number of toys we are aiming for, we’re just trying to make a difference in the lives of kids in need, so if that means making only one kid happy, that’s fine because at least we did something."

Students can drop off any type of new or scarcely used stuffed animal in the center room of the history building until Friday, Dec. 15.