Paly boys soccer beat Mountain View in league opener

Early Monday night, the Palo Alto Vikings (4-4-1, 2-0-0 league) opened up league play with a 4-1 win against the Mountain View Spartans. Coming into the game, the Vikings had been outscored 10-7 and suffered disappointing losses to Mitty, St. Ignatius, and Salinas. However, this game did not follow that trend.

"We were really nervous, but playing as many tough preseason games as we’ve played (Mitty, St. Francis, St. Ignacious), we’ve gained a lot of experience and confidence." said sophomore keeper Peter Johnson.

Though the first half featured strong defensive plays, the second half was a completely different story. After out-shooting Mountain View 7-4 with no goals for either team, Paly came out firing. Five minutes in, sophomore center midfielder Adam Zernik connected with junior stopper Zal Dordi on a precise corner kick.

Not to be outdone by the offence, John Chistopherson, Bubba Paguirigan, Zal Dordi, and Patrick Alonis each came up with crucial tackles that prevented Mountain View from getting a shot off. Starting defenders sophomore John Christopherson, senior Patrick Alonis, junior Zal Dordi, and junior Bubba Paguirigan held Mountain View to only two shots in the second half, both of which were penalties.

"I didn’t know much about the other team and their strikers so with every game I just stay with my man and mark tightly," sophomore John Christopherson said.

Twelve minutes later Paly was at it again, when sophomore Scott Ostrau and junior Matt Steigar broke away on a two versus one with the keeper. Ostrau shot the ball, but the Mountain View keeper made a fantastic save. However, four minutes later, they were not to be denied. Steigar caught a Mountain View defender off guard and suddenly found himself off to the races. Fifteen yards down the field; Steigar blasted a shot into the upper left hand corner.

Paly got on a roll and in the 64th minute three Paly players started yet another offensive strike. Paly used advantages of several player mismatches, when Zernik, freshman Jenner Fox, and junior Scott Ostrau found each other in the Mountain View half. Zernik had a head ball that Fox kneaded to Ostrau, who then touched it into the goal.

As the minutes ticked down, Paly’s offensive just didn’t let up. Through-ball after through-ball penetrated the porous Mountain View defense as opportunities presented themselves every couple minutes. Steigar struck for the second time in the 76th minute on a through-ball that led to a breakaway.

"We were just focused on playing our game and hopefully winning the first league game," Johnson said. "Fortunately our offense clicked today."

With four minutes left, Mountain View had no chance of coming back and no Paly was playing for the shut out. Roy Newman, normally a defensive starter, who did not start because of missing a practice and a game, was substituted in during the 77th minute. Jenner Fox then tripped up a Mountain View defender, and a penalty was called. Newman argued the call and was promptly given a yellow card. Mountain View pounced on the mistake and scored on backup goalie Max Lloyd to avoid the shut out and bring the score to 4-1.

The Vikings will match up against Santa Clara Friday Dec. 15 at 3:30 p.m. at the Mayfiled soccer fields.