Madrigal dinners sold out with engaging performances

The madrigal dinners held December 10 and 11 were a clear success for both performers and audiences. Both shows sold out, selling approximately 250 tickets, meeting the fundraiser goal of $4000-5000 for the Paly choir, according to choir teacher, Michael Najar.

Audiences were entertained with beautiful winter décor, a well-prepared meal, and exceptional music from all of the choir students at Paly.

"It was terrific," Najar said. "This was more than a concert, it was truly an experience."

With a total of 38 new costumes this year, all eighty students were able to dress up and make the event more real and fun for audiences.

Also for the first time this year, there was a gesture for both nights. Hired by Najar, Mitch Barrett captivated audiences with his talent and humor. Starting off with juggling tricks, using knives and eating an apple at the same time, he then presented a balancing trick with volunteers from the audience. Barrett also entertained tables throughout the night.

The dinner began with the madrigal choir performing carols, and afterwards instructing the audience on how to properly behave at the table, leaving the room in laughter.

An intricate meal was served including hot apple cider, salad, vegetables, potatoes, chicken, steak, soup, and dessert.

Though the night was primarily to showcase the choirs, the dinner included entertaining quirks such as discussions about England’s alliances and toasts to the audience.

The show successfully incorporated both performances as well as interactive periods where the madrigal or spectrum choirs would entertain a table with a carol or speak to them about the future of England.

Junior Alex Gaya performed well as the squire, making audiences laugh with settle jokes.

"It was definitely difficult standing up strait for five or six hours," Gaya said.

Najar was very impressed with his students, both for the talent they exhibited as well as well as the personas they portrayed.

"Everyone was very committed to the spirit of the event," Najar said. "That’s what made it so great this year."

Najar hopes to possibly add a student night next year where the prices are reduced and pizza, soda, chips, and ice cream are served.

He also hopes to open up more seating for next year, as the demand was especially high this year.