Winter Break kicks off with a flurry of music

The school’s bands and orchestra will play at 7 p.m. tonight in the Haymarket Theater in a concert to welcome the winter spirit. After preparing since September, a multitude of students in concert dress will perform a variety of pieces from Mozart’s "Magic Flute" to popular "Sleigh Ride" on every instrument from the double bass to the trombone.

"It will be a fun experience and a cool concert before Winter Break." said senior violinist Ruisi Li.

The Paly Orchestra will be performing the fast and intense "Psycho" theme song, which contrasts sharply to Mozart’s melodic and string dominant "Magic Flute." They will also perform Holiday-tinged "Chorale Prelude #1: ‘Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring’" by Bach, a beautiful slow piece that flows and relaxes.

The advanced musicians of Symphonic band will play Robert Russel Bennett’s "Suite of Old America Dances Mvmnt 1. Cakewalk," as well as Bach’s "Wachet Auf (Sleeper’s Awake)," a piece where every note is emphasized and is "smooth and slow," said senior clarinetist Rosie Ibarra. After having to practice both Pep Rally pieces for football games and their Winter Concert music, many members anticipate a well-played concert.

"This concert is the first of the year [for Symphonic Band]," said senior trumpeter Astasia Myers. "A lot of the pieces have a winter theme."

Overall conductor for every musical group, instructor Jeff Willner, disagreed with the majority of the students when he said that there is no specified theme, there’s just enjoyable music.

"It’s going to be what we also do [it is not going to be different]. Each group with be doing two to three pieces," Willner said. "All are playing great and are really well-prepared. I can’t imagine anyone going [to the Winter Concert] and not being entertained."

Willner also leads the award-winning Jazz Band which will play three bright and jazzy pieces: Duke Ellington’s "In a Mellow Tone," a fun arrangement that starts with a guitar solo by Kyler Siegal; Bernie Miller’s "Bernie’s Tune," a lengthy and complex piece; and swingy "Groovin’ Hard" by Don Menza.

"My favorite piece is ‘Bernie’s Tune’ because it has a lot of different colors and it has a nice bass solo introduction played by Scott Ostrau," senior percussionist Patrick O’Konksi said.

Concert band will play Dvorak’s "Slavonic Dances #8 Opus 46, No.8 and Henry Fillmore’s "The Klaxon." Jazz Ensemble will follow with Jerome Richardson’s "Groove Merchant" and Herbie Hancock’s "Watermelon Man."

The Concert will take place on Thursday, Dec 7 at 7:00 in the Haymarket Theater.

"It [the concert] is a great opportunity to listen to our music and have a good time," Myers said.