State Finals Cross-country meet marks end of two careers, beginning of another

The cross-country team officially wrapped up its season sending three runners to the State Finals at Woodward Park in Fresno last Saturday, two of whom continued on to run at the Footlocker West Region Invitational meet this past weekend in San Diego.

The meet marked the end of seniors Alicia Ivanhoe and Renata Cummins’s high school cross-country careers, but both look forward to continue running in college. But for freshman Phillip MacQuitty, his performance at the state meet and Footlocker was just the beginning of a promising next three years.

Macquitty stunned coaches and teammates alike, finishing second for freshmen in the state, and 122 overall (out of 960) with an impressive time of 16:12. But as if that were not good enough, he blew all away once again this Saturday, winning the prestigious Footlocker freshman race.

Cummins also ran at Footlocker, although did not do as well as she would have liked, finishing 88 (out of 128) in the girl’s seeded race. The weekend before Cummins finished 152 at the State Finals.

"After running in the state meet, and three years of running badly because I was too nervous before the race, I knew what to expect from the race and how to keep myself calm to give myself the best chance of running fast," Cummins said.

Cummins clocked a 19:19 at states. Although she did not break her PR (personal record) on the course, which was a 19:07 run at Clovis Invitational, she was happy with her performance. This was Cummin’s fourth year running in the State Finals.

"I was really happy with my first two miles. I fell off a lot on the last mile, but I’m okay with it."

Ivanhoe also ran at the State Finals but was not able to run at Arcadia because she had to take the SAT’s. Nevertheless, Ivanhoe was happy with her race at the State Finals last weekend.

"My goal going into the meet was to go under 19 minutes and place better than I did last year at the state meet," Ivanhoe said.

Ivanhoe fulfilled both goals, coming in 93(out of 938 runners) in the state and running a personal course record of 18:52.

"I think the race went pretty well over all. It was pretty fast in the beginning and then everyone settled into their paces, but I wish I had worked the hills harder."