Girls soccer demolishes Gunn

Rivalry games are supposed to be about excitement. They are supposed to be gripping, epic battles stemming from many years of competition and rich traditions. They are supposed to be fought tooth and nail to the death.

Unfortunately (for Gunn), this match-up was nothing of the sort. In fact, it could have been better described as a walk in the park for the Paly girls soccer team (3-0 non-league), playing as the home team at the Mayfield soccer complex, who handled the Titans in the 3-0 win.

It was a long day for the Gunn keeper, as the relentless Paly offense took more than 20 shots in the shutout victory over the Titans.

"It feels good to take them out, said head coach Ernesto Cruz after the game. "The Paly-Gunn game always has a lot of pressure. It’s nice to get that monkey off your back."

The Vikings out-shot Gunn 22-8, and the win was the Vikings’ fourth straight in non-league competition.

"The Gunn team was much tougher and played much smarter than most of the teams we have faced so far this year," said Cruz.

For the first half-hour of play, the game appeared fairly close. Though Paly had possession of the ball for most of the period, the Titans had numerous opportunities to score.

Paly had their first real chance to put one on the board in the 10th minute, when a through ball gave freshman striker Kelly Jenks a one-on-one with the Gunn keeper, but one touch too many led to a missed opportunity for the young forward.

The Viking offense took its time to get rolling. The beginning of the contest brought mostly breakaway attacks from the young team, while the Titans took a more controlled approach on their strikes.

In the 33rd minute, a Gunn striker broke away from the Paly defense for a one-on-one with keeper Christy Gauthier, but the experienced senior made a diving save to keep the Titans scoreless.

The near-goal brought a momentary hush to the Paly faithful, but soon enough the offense was on its feet and clicking.