Students to vote on term lengths of Student Council officers

Students will vote to change the length of terms for the Student Council executive board and senior class president to one year instead of the current one semester on second semester’s ballot.

Positions on the executive board that would be affected by the change include Associate Student Body (ASB) president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.

Student Council voted to put the proposal on the ballot at the Nov. 27 lunch meeting.

The positions of school board representative, site council representative and spirit commissioner do not need to be voted on because they are already have one year terms, said Student Activities Director Allison Davies.

According to Davies, Student Council feels that senior class president, rather than the other class presidents, should be a year-long position because he/she works on projects that can take the whole year. Senior class president is responsible for Homecoming, Spirit Week, prom and graduation.

"If a new person comes along, they would have to accept what has already been done," Davies said. "There could be problems. It is good to have consistency."

According to Davies, approximately three Student Council members argued to keep the terms by semester because this allows more students to get involved with Student Council. Also, if terms are for the whole year, students may not have room in their schedule for a full year of Student Council, which meets during fourth period.

"If they [the terms] were for a year, they [Student Council officers] may not have been able to do it because they need graduation requirements," Davies said. "Many ASB members have eighth period classes or they do not have preps."

The student body must vote on the proposal during second semester’s election because changing the length of terms requires an amendment to the Student Council constitution. The amendment, if passed, will be effective starting in the fall of the 2007-2008 school year.

All students must vote on amendments, whereas only Student Council needs to vote on by-laws. For example, Student Council members voted to change the frequency of open lunch meetings from once a week to once a month at the Nov. 27 lunch meeting. Because the frequency of meetings is listed in the by-laws, only Student Council needed to vote on the issue, Davies said.