JV players moved to varsity gain experience for next year

The Paly JV football team can thank its amazing starting lineup for it’s excellent season this year, finishing with an 11-4 record. Nine of the most talented sophomores on the team were recently moved up from JV to Varsity for the Central Coast Section [CCS] championship games, and are gaining experience and making strides as players.

"The boys have preformed well and improved throughout the season," said David Duran, the head coach of the JV team. "They are much better now than when the season started."

Sophomores Harry Woolson, Ashraf El-Gamal, Bobby Holman, Sam Tompkins, Andy Maliska, Will Holder, Steven Gargulio, Malcom Bailey, and Willie Tulisua were all moved from JV to Varsity when the Vikings made it into the CCS championships. According to Duran, their main goals are to help the team practice and to gain experience for next year. Harry Woolson, one of the starting players from the JV team, says that practicing with the Varsity players has helped his game. Although the sophomores will most likely not play in any of the Varsity games this year, they are conditioning the older players during practice to get them ready for games.

"Next year I’ll be more prepared for what practice is like. It’s hard because all the upperclassmen are stronger, but it’s definitely making me a better player," Woolson said. "I know I won’t be playing this year, but its cool that I get to help out the Varsity team."

According to Duran, the players were picked due to their excellent achievement on the JV team and their potential as Varsity players. He says they will be competing for spots in the starting lineup for next season, and have a good chance of succeeding in their high school football careers.

"[The players] should all do well in high school football," Duran said. "Being moved up to Varsity will give them an advantage next year."

Although the sophomore players were considered some of the best on JV, it is difficult for them to compete with the older players. "I’m intimidated by the seniors," said sophomore Ashraf El-Gamal.

Being on Varsity is an exciting experience for the young players. "It was really cool to be in the CCS semifinals," Woolson said. "It was a really good game and everyone was really emotional. I’m excited for the rest of the season."