Paly administration reacts to teenage drug use

Though the media has cast a recent spotlight on teenage alcohol abuse, Paly has not amended its current drug policy.

"A drug’s a drug. I don’t care if you drink, chew it, or smoke it," assistant principal Doug Walker said. According to Walker, if a student is caught under the influence of any drug on campus, the student will receive a suspension for two days and offered the opportunity of three sessions of counseling off campus. If they refuse the counseling, they will receive a five-day suspension. Repeated offenders receive five days of suspension with the option of counseling but no reduction of sentence if counseling is chosen.

The school works closely with Adolescent Counseling Services to help those students who choose to receive aid. According to an e-mail from Principal Scott Laurence, all meetings are private and that the ACS only discloses to the school whether the counseling was completed. Laurence also noted that in extreme cases, students may be moved to a different school.

"Anyone who is caught here [under the influence] is cited by the police," Walker said.

Off campus matters, such as the recent party are a different issue.

"That’s usually a police matter and a family matter but we are open to helping the family with counseling," Walker said.

The school will continue with its current anti-drug and alcohol campaign

"We’re just trying to educate as many kids as we can," Walker said. "If you are caught, there are places to [get] help."

Walker suggested the Living Skills class, ACS, "Most of Us", and school staff as tools to help students.

"Even if they [school administration] tell people students not to party, they will party anyway," junior Nanor Balabanian said.

"I’m not aware of anything being done and I don’t think they [the school] should," junior Matt Staiger said, believing the school shouldn’t be involved in students private lives.

Teenage drug use is a universal issue and is not confined to Palo Alto.

"Whether in Palo Alto, or San Jose, or Cupertino, or Sunnyvale, or Los Gatos, parties are going on," Walker said.

"Unfortunately, parents leave their kids over the weekend and that’s really dangerous," Walker said. "If things happen, they are liable."

According to Walker, most parties happen when parents leave for an extended amount of time.

"The liability issue is pretty big with parties," Walker said, warning parents and students to be aware with what is going on at their residence.