Protests over Biden visit, campus closed for lunch

Ava Knapp
Police prepare for the arrival of President Joe Biden with tents and barricades around former Google and Yahoo executive Marissa Mayer’s house. According to Palo Alto High School Principal Brent Kline, students will be barred from leaving campus to go to lunch at Town and Country Village shopping center because of protestors marching in response to how Biden is addressing the Israel and Gaza conflict.

Palo Alto High School anticipates a protest at Town and Country Village shopping center starting at noon today in connection with to the arrival of United States President Joe Biden.

Biden will be fundraising this morning in Portola Valley before making his way down to Addison Street and Middlefield Road to former Yahoo and Google executive Marissa Mayer’s house for a luncheon.

Protests over Biden’s stance on the Israel-Gaza conflict are expected, according to Principal Brent Kline in a Schoology announcement. The protestors are expected to march from Town and Country down Addison toward Middlefield to Mayer’s house, Kline said. Kline informed students  that they will be unable to leave campus for lunch at Town and Country as a result.

The entirety of Addison Street will be closed off until 6 p.m., as well as parts of several streets running perpendicular to Addison, according to no parking signs posted up and down the street.

Tents and barricades have been set up surrounding the Mayer House in preparation for Biden’s arrival.

First Lady Jill Biden and California Governor Gavin Newsom will also be in attendance.

The lunch is a private fundraising event and therefore will be difficult to attend, with participants having to pay from $30,000 to $50,000 according to an article on Palo Alto Online.

According to the Palo Alto Unified School District, Addison Elementary School and Walter Hays Elementary School will be released early at 11:30 a.m. Frank S. Greene Middle School will also conclude earlier at 12:40 p.m.