Rivalry turns into rout

Normally, the Palo Alto football Vikings finish off their opponents in the second half. On Friday, the Vikings put the undermanned Titans out of their misery before halftime.

Each team had seven possessions in the first half. The Vikings (7-1, 4-0 league) scored six touchdowns while the Titans (2-6, 2-2) punted 4 times and were intercepted twice. The game was never a fair fight and the 55-12 final score does not do justice to the complete domination shown by the Vikings.

On the first play from scrimmage, senior quarterback Nick Goodspeed hit senior wide receiver Trenton Hart on a quick pass. Hart beat the corner and went for 25 yards. Four plays later, senior running back Evan Warner went 10 yards untouched for the touchdown. Junior Tyger Pederson’s extra point attempt sailed wide left.

The Titans were picked off on the very next play and the Vikings scored again when Goodspeed found Hart, again, on a slant route. Hart had the first down, but juked around several Titan defenders, scoring a 55-yard touchdown pass.

Following a Titan punt, the Vikings made the only offensive mistake of the game. Senior running back Will Frazier dropped a 4th down pass that would have given the Vikings a first down and possibly a touchdown.

The Titans punted again on their next possession, giving Frazier a chance at redemption. After a nine-yard run, the Vikings hurried to the line with no huddle, hoping to catch the Titans off guard. They did. Frazier caught a quick slant, beat the safety and was gone. 71 yards later, the Vikings had their third touchdown only 90 seconds into the second quarter.