Girl's volleyball team experiences exciting, emotional win on Senior Night

The girls’ varsity volleyball team experienced an exciting senior night at Paly, beating Monta Vista 3 games to 0.

The evening began with a pre-game ceremony in which the senior players gave their parents flowers and were in turn presented with a framed photo of the team. Posters with the seniors’ names filled the gym, and a green and white balloon was attached to each senior’s sideline chair.

"It [the ceremony] was really sad," Senior Jenice Wilson said. "The whole team cried."

Head coach Dave Winn also admitted to the evening being bittersweet. "On the one hand, as a coach, you’re proud to showcase the senior talent that’s on the team," Winn said. "But on the other hand, senior night just reminds you that the season’s almost over, and all these talented girls will be gone next year, and sorely missed."

The first game started out with Paly domination, and although Monta Vista came close by tying the score at 13-13 about halfway through the game, the Vikes were able to use their strong blocking and serving to pull ahead and win the game 25-13.

"We served extremely well and put up great blocks," Winn said.

The second game was more of the same, only Monta Vista upped their energy to try and compete with the Vikes. However, Paly came out on top with a 25-20, and their energy and enthusiasm was evident on the court when they finished off the match with a 25-13 victory in the third game.

Monta Vista is a good team and is very well coached," Winn said. "We just happened to play very well tonight, and we had a little more firepower."

One of the captains, Senior Lindsey Spiegleman, said that she would not change anything about the night.

"It couldn’t have gone any better, especially because of the fan support we had," Spiegleman said.

All of the members of the team expressed the same bittersweet feeling that Winn experienced.

"I’m going to miss our seniors so much," Junior Hillary Ford said. "They’ve all been like big sisters to me."

Although an emotional evening, there’s a strong chance that the girls will get to play in their gym again when it comes to play offs.

"It is going to be sadder when the season is over," Spiegleman said.

The Lady Vikes hope to continue their winning streak when they play Gunn on Monday at 6:45 p.m.