Varsity volleyball crushes Los Altos 3-0

The girls’ varsity volleyball team enjoyed a three game victory against Los Altos Tuesday night.

Not only were the Vikes redeeming themselves for a 0-3 loss to Los Altos earlier in the season, but also showed the first place Los Altos just how well they could play.

The lady Vikes overpowered Los Altos with in both offense and defense.

“We had a very balanced attack and blocked extremely well,” head coach Dave Winn said.

The team had 11 blocks, which is six more than their average of five per game, and 36 kills (Los Altos had 22). Junior Hillary Ford led the team with 12 kills.

Winn, the former head coach for the Los Altos varsity team, was extremely pleased with the outcome.

“Beating Los Altos was satisfying for me for many reasons,” Winn said, “but I was most proud of how well our girls played as a team.”

Winn coached the Los Altos Eagles for four years before becoming a Viking this season.

“I had a [good] time with a lot of great athletes and parents,” Winn said. “It provided a lot of good learning for me and great experiences. It was very rewarding to be a part of such a competitive program with great athletes, many going on to play collegiate volleyball.”

During Winn’s years at Los Altos the team compiled a 99-47 record with seasons ending in the playoffs and a trip to the Central Coast Section finals.

“I still miss all my friends at Los Altos,” Winn said, “but the players and parents at Paly have been very warm in receiving me.”

Winn also commends the Paly girls for their hard work and love of the game.

“I’m really rejuvenated by how much the Paly girls want to learn and work hard every day. That atmosphere makes coaching really fun.”

While Winn is intent on seeing the team succeed, his main goals are to “earn the kids’ trust by teaching them what they need to succeed,” Winn said.

The Lady Vikes have proved their ability to succeed. They’re overall record is 17-5, and they’re league record is 4-3. The team placed first in the Harbor Tournament at Harbor High School in Santa Cruz and second in the Del Mar Classic at Del Mar High School in San Jose.

The team will take on Homestead Tuesday, Oct. 17 at Paly at 6:45 p.m.