Fourth quarter assault leads Vikings over Spartans

Over halfway through the fourth quarter, the Vikings were trailing for only the third time all season. The Paly football team (5-1, 3-0 league) had already lost the early momentum and were in danger of losing the league lead.

Only 4 minutes later, the Palo Alto varsity football team had scored 17 points and secured the crucial 30-14 road win over the Mountain View Spartans (4-2, 1-1).

"We finished strong, especially in the fourth quarter," head coach Earl Hansen said. "There’s no quit on this team."

On paper, the teams couldn’t be more equal. Both teams came in 4-1 on three game winning streaks and they were tied for the De Anza division lead. Both teams had been outscoring their opponents by more than two touchdowns.

The Spartans rely heavily on the run averaging close to 200 yards per game and have 19 rushing touchdowns in only five games. Senior running back Brandon Hamilton leads the Spartans with 13 total touchdowns (12 rushing) and close to 150 total yards per game.

"We just have to be there at the right place at the right time," Hall said. "He’s [Hamilton] fast so we need to stay balanced."

"Unless there’s a special quarterback, it’s always about stopping the run," Hansen said. "And we have the best quarterback in the league."

The Vikings’ senior quarterback Nick Goodspeed commands the Vikings’ passing attack, but like the Spartans, the Vikings have relied more on the ground attack. Senior running back Will Frazier and junior fullback Sione Mataele have 13 rushing touchdowns combined so far. Frazier is coming off a career performance last week against Wilcox where he ran for 194 yards and three touchdowns.

Everyone on the Spartans sideline knew the Vikings would run the ball, and on the first play from scrimmage, they got burned. Goodspeed dropped back and faked the handoff to Frazier before uncorking a deep pass to a wide open senior wide receiver Maurice Williams. Once Williams caught the ball, it was a footrace to the end zone and nobody would catch him as the Vikings took a 7-0 lead only 10 seconds into the game on the 80-yard touchdown.

It looked as though the Vikings would cruise to victory, but following the opening drive, each team played well below their potential. The next eight possessions combined ended with three turnovers and five punts. The Spartans finally broke the drought with a 3-yard touchdown run from Hamilton.

The Vikings had plenty of chances to score, but could not find any rhythm on offense. Goodspeed threw two interceptions in the red zone in the half, though each one was deflected. The teams entered the half tied, which has been a common trend for the Vikings. Neither team had impressive numbers in the half except the punters.

The Spartans fumbled the kickoff to start the second half, but the Vikings could not score. The Spartans next began their most impressive drive of the game, going 75 yards on 12 plays, scoring on an 8-yard pass from junior quarterback Jeffery Jalaba to 290 pound tight end Joape Pela, who simply could not be tackled.

The Vikings needed a big play to reignitie the stagnant offense and they got it from senior Evan Warner who returned the ensuing kickoff 65 yards and might have gone all the way had he not slowed down to juke the punter. The Vikings scored four plays later on a 14-yard run from Frazier that included two cutbacks. The game should have been tied, but a bad snap caused junior kicker Tyger Pederson to miss his first point all year.

Still down late in the game, the Vikings needed another big play. Ironically, that play came on a punt by Williams. The Vikings pinned the ball inside the Spartans 5-yard line and after the Vikings’ defense held, the Spartans punt was returned by Warner 22 yards to the Spartan 20-yard line. The Vikings didn’t reach the end zone but Pederson’s 33-yard field goal, the first all season, gave the Vikings the 16-14 lead.

Three plays later, senior cornerback Trenton Hart came free on a blindside blitz. Hart laid a bone-crushing hit to an unsuspecting Jalaba, causing a fumble that junior linebacker James McCollough scooped up and returned 24 yards for the Viking touchdown.

McCollough also ended the next Spartan drive by sacking Jalaba on 4th and 15, giving the Vikings the ball deep in Spartan territory. Three plays later, Warner broke through and scored on an 8-yard run to give the Vikings the 30-14 lead.

The game was far closer than the final score would suggest, but the Vikings were glad to sneak out of there with the win anyway possible.

"It was a tough game and we came out slow in the first half," Hart said.

The Vikings’ offense was never really in rhythm, but the defense and special teams carried the team to victory.

"We’ve been winning games on special teams," Warner said. "I’m never worried with the guys we have blocking for me."

Big plays from Williams, Hart, and Warner made the difference, but some of the credit must go to Hansen for calling the play-action pass to begin the game and the corner blitz that caused the fumble recovery for a touchdown.

Hamilton finished with 170 total yards and a touchdown, but the Vikings’ defense kept him from dominating and forced the other Spartans to get in the game. They couldn’t step up and now the Vikings lead the league and are done with the grueling part of their schedule. By no means are the Vikings looking past their next opponents, but unlike last year, when Paly was in the same position, they don’t have to face Los Gatos in the final game of year.

"I hated coming into this game," Hansen said. "We had five tough games in a row, but we made it through."

The Vikings went 4-1 in that stretch starting with a 21-13 win over Burlingame and could have been 5-0 had it not been for a first quarter meltdown against Oak Grove. Now the Vikings can look forward to two consecutive home games including an Oct. 27 match up against cross-town rival Gunn.

The Vikings return home next week for the homecoming game against Santa Clara. The Bruins entered Friday 1-4, so the Vikings should end their streak of losses on homecoming night. The game starts at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20.