Varsity volleyball comes back to take Homestead in first league game

The girls’ varsity volleyball came back from behind to beat Homestead on Sept. 19 in the first league match. The Vikes struggled against Homestead, who dominated the first two games, but Paly came back to win the next three games and the match.

“We were a different team the first two games,” head coach Dave Winn said. “The next three games we played like the Paly I know.”

During the first game the Lady Vikes put in a solid effort but couldn’t finish the rallies. Homestead displayed skilled blocking and smart passing. The game ended quickly with a 25-16 win for Homestead.

The second game started similarly to the first, with Homestead on top of their game and Paly coming up shorthanded.

“It was kind of slow at the beginning,” junior setter Euna Oh said. “We were playing more individually and not as a team.”

Winn felt that one of the biggest problems was the broken plays.

“We had some unforced errors, and we need to be smarter about getting back in to the system,” Winn said.

While the second game was closer than the first, Homestead came out on top and ended the game with a fierce kill down the line, winning 25-21 and taking the second game.

The third game was especially tense and close, with the lead changing almost every point.

“We realized that we really had to use communication and team skills in order to get a win and we became confident but not cocky,” junior defensive specialist Abbie Havern said.

Though close, Paly pulled off a 30-28 (you must win by two points) win, which put them back into the match.

“Each game we got progressively better,” Havern said.

The fourth game was just as exciting, with Paly looking more at ease on the court. The game stayed close, but Paly pulled through and won 26-24. The Vikes now had momentum and the pressure was on the Mustangs. The court and the sidelines were abuzz with cheering and excitement.

“We had complete effort on the bench,” Winn said.

In the fifth and final game, which is only played to 15 points, both teams fought their hardest, but it was Paly who pulled ahead and took the game, 16-14, and the match, 3-2.

“Early in the season it’s good experience to be under pressure and have to win the last three games,” Havern said. “It will pay off later.”

“It’s good to know we can pull a win out of a tough situation,” added senior Kristine Miller.

The girls play again at 6:45 against Gunn at Paly on Thursday, Sept. 28.