New ‘ASB Studios’ hosts talent show; movie nights to come

ASB Studios’ first event, a talent show, will take place today at 5:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. According to sophomore Class President David Wu, ASB Studios aims to unite the Palo Alto High School community through events. “The primary goal is to host lots of fun live events and movie showings,” Wu said. (Photo: ASB Studios Instagram)

The Associated Student Body is launching a new initiative ASB Studios with a talent show at 5:30 p.m. today in the Performing Arts Center.

All participants will receive Palo Alto High School merchandise and the top three contestants will get prizes including an ice cream machine. There is no entrance fee. Seating will be limited and provided on a first-come-first-serve basis, and food will be provided.

David Wu, sophomore class president, said all kinds of acts and spectators were welcomed.

“It’s [the talent show] going to be a lot of excitement,” Wu said. “So, everyone sign up to perform and come and watch your fellow students.”

Student Body President Julian Hong said the talent show and ASB Studios as a whole is an opportunity for ASB to branch out and explore different ways to host various events.

“It’s a new way for Paly students [to] showcase all the incredible and immense talent that we have on campus while also allowing ASB to experiment with something new,” Hong said. “That’s something I’m sure not many other high schools have within their student government.”

According to Wu, he began working on this project with the Associated Student Body last November to bring new events to the school.

“The inspiration behind creating ASB Studios is primarily all of the exciting shows on TV,” Wu said. “I wanted to bring this excitement to Paly through both live events and movies and that’s how ASB Studios was born. The primary goal is to really bring together students, parents and teachers—Everyone who’s part of the Paly community.”

Wu said much of the planning and preparation needed went into making sure all the different aspects of ASB Studios could come together.

“The main challenge ASB Studios has encountered has been coordinating with all the different parties, approving activities and money to get logistics ready,” Wu said. “We already purchased a movie site license, which allows us to show movies on campus to students, and we’re partnering with theater facilities like the Haymarket and PAC to coordinate dates to show movies.”

In the future, Hong said he looks forward to organizing ASB Studios events on a larger scale.

“We’ve discussed having it [movie nights] on the Quad, once it’s opened up,” Hong said. “We have a giant blow-up projector screen that we can use.”

Wu welcomes the opportunity to expand ASB Studios by partnering with members of both the school and local community.

“Any Paly student can sign up to be a participant in ASB Studios,” Wu said. “All family staff, students and parents are invited to come out and watch our events. We are also open to collaboration with other students partnering with ASB studios.”